+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnepan smga’s ( Reinvented )

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Respect.

If you ever fancy hearing some modern day Apogees PM me. I don't let any old soul in these days but this got you a ticket, LOL.

Alan is also welcome but distances are a bit much for both of you.
    Thanks Justin, actually I was contemplating doing it all again with another for sale in .......Bristol
    Plus I was born down that way so maybe I’ll see you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

When you hold the panels and rock them can you feel any corner of the stands lifting off the floor. If there is any movement at all it will reduce SQ. If this is the case, then it is a good idea to bond the stands to the floor with double sided tape or blue tac. If this does not appeal you might consider placing them on granite slabs and bonding them to those.

Personally I would also refit the side rails or replace them with something similar. They play an important role in reducing panel flexing and do tighten up the sound considerably.

I'm Andrew.

Default Magnepan smga’s ( Reinvented )

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    When you hold the panels and rock them can you feel any corner of the stands lifting off the floor. If there is any movement at all it will reduce SQ. If this is the case, then it is a good idea to bond the stands to the floor with double sided tape or blue tac. If this does not appeal you might consider placing them on granite slabs and bonding them to those.

Personally I would also refit the side rails or replace them with something similar. They play an important role in reducing panel flexing and do tighten up the sound considerably.
    They now have 30mm x 3mm of steel running the full length on both sides , tomorrow I’m adding 25mm x 25mm oak strip wood from the top to the far end of the rear feet , I doubt they’ll be a stiffer pair of these anywhere

Cheers

I'm Gerard.

Andy
    Really brilliant job. They look fantastic and IMHO the SMGa are and were the pick of the 3 in that series. I know some accused them of rolling off the high frequencies but still.
    They have a dryness and clarity about them which I found mesmerising.
    I am tempted to get mine out of the loft....

P.S. I wish I could weld.... I'd make stands like that for my 1.7s. Very jealous

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    Regards
    Gerry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    They now have 30mm x 3mm of steel running the full length on both sides , tomorrow I’m adding 25mm x 25mm oak strip wood from the top to the far end of the rear feet , I doubt they’ll be a stiffer pair of these anywhere

Cheers

I am sure that will make a big difference. In the US there are mega frames in use that would put house scaffolding to shame.

Don't neglect the bond between stand and floor though. Very easy to try out with a pack of blue tac. Just apply to the bottom of the stand and then apply the bottom of a pair of DM's to get a good bond!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am sure that will make a big difference. In the US there are mega frames in use that would put house scaffolding to shame.

Don't neglect the bond between stand and floor though. Very easy to try out with a pack of blue tac. Just apply to the bottom of the stand and then apply the bottom of a pair of DM's to get a good bond!
    Yes I will try that idea , all advice is fully appreciated.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Andy
    Really brilliant job. They look fantastic and IMHO the SMGa are and were the pick of the 3 in that series. I know some accused them of rolling off the high frequencies but still.
    They have a dryness and clarity about them which I found mesmerising.
    I am tempted to get mine out of the loft....

P.S. I wish I could weld.... I'd make stands like that for my 1.7s. Very jealous

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    Thanks Jerry , I didn’t do the welding though , I found a local metal workshop locally where I was working today and 10 minutes later and £35 it was all done , holes punched too at every 100mm along the steel .

I'm Ray.

Looking good Andy.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    Looking good Andy.
    Thanks Ray , gotta keep the mrs content plus I do like to a project on the go .

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Thanks Ray , gotta keep the mrs content plus I do like to a project on the go .

What amp are you using to drive them?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast