+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing from a valve amp to SS integrated .....

I'm Luke.

Default Changing from a valve amp to SS integrated .....

Morning all,

So after various discussions with my Wife and the constant niggling I decided to downsize NOT downgrade my amp(s).

My current amp is EAR Yoshino 890 with Townshend Allegri + pre. It sounds great and I love it but I’m after a one box amp that I can change the volume on remotely and don’t have to wait as much for it to warm up.

So after speaking to various dealers and other forum mates I narrowed it down to either a Norma Revo IPA40 or Sugden Masterclass IA4.

The Norma I’ve heard and it’s stunning to my ears, different to my EAR 890 but great from a cold start, remote volume, my Wife likes the look of it and it reduces a box and gives a little more room (not much admittedly) it ticks all the boxes.

My question is what are people’s opinions on the Sugden as a comparison as I’m going to struggle to get anywhere to listen to one for a while ? Also I’m not familiar with the house sound.

I'm Dennis.

I know I'll be flamed for this, but IMO most SS amps are so good that they are really nearly devoid of a house sound, but with my experiences of valve gear through the decades, they do have character.

I'm Shaun.

Am I correct in assuming the Sugden is Class A..? If that is the case then I am going to assume the obvious based on experience and say that it will have a certain character also. I love Class A amps and their sound. Whatever you do I wish you luck.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I know I'll be flamed for this, but IMO most SS amps are so good that they are really nearly devoid of a house sound, but with my experiences of valve gear through the decades, they do have character.
    I'd say some SS amps. Possibly most class AB once you get to high price levels which I know Sugden Masterclass are getting towards (well high for me anyway ). Class D I won't comment on as I only had Ice Power and found it didn't let the music flow as I like. Ditto high end Class A.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

I very agree with Dennis (Pharos) with the caveat that it is very much preamp dependant. Assuming a decent valve power amp the end result will/can be utterly transformed by what preamp is used.

Not heard the Norma integrated but have a Sugden "Aztec" Masterclass IA (kindly brought up to IA4 2018 spec by Sugden). Not sure I would say it has a 'house sound' but in any event wonderful in terms of engagement and transparency. At 'switch on' the sound is nearly perfect, after a few minutes it becomes perfect.

Good luck in your decision Luke.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by CrillboBaggins View Post
    Morning all,

So after various discussions with my Wife and the constant niggling I decided to downsize NOT downgrade my amp(s).

My current amp is EAR Yoshino 890 with Townshend Allegri + pre. It sounds great and I love it but I’m after a one box amp that I can change the volume on remotely and don’t have to wait as much for it to warm up.
    Just a thought instead of moving to an SS have you considered one of these, both have remote volume control and line switching. I run an T1500 mk2 and it sounds superb, very transparent colouration wise, and once valves bedded in does not take long to warm up. They are not that well known here in the UK but are extremely good IMO and very good VFM.

http://allnicaudio.com/product/t-1500-mk2/

http://allnicaudio.com/product/t-2000-25th/

Lotus HiFi are the main dealer in UK and are very helpful.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

At that price level I'd get both of them in on home demo for at least a week. There's probably very little between them but you can never be sure of that once in the real world and connected up to some speakers.

Sugden have never made a poor amplifier and the Norma is impressive on paper.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

The sugden 1a4 is very well known and easily available s/h for about 2.2-2.4k . loads of stuff on them. superb back up from yorkshire based company . My a21se had a small fault and was fixed very efficiently . very low noise floor , incredible dynamics . that would be my choice

Now the norma is gathering speed in being known , a harbeth reviewer recently did a review in hifi critic . i still am VERY nervous of buying stuff that is not mainstream
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Noooooooooooooooo!
    Seriously though, there are many decent solid state amps out there to choose from, just take your time, and get something you can live with long term.
    Good luck with your quest
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Grant.

hybrid patheos
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast