+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a CDP to use as a transport please (not expensive)

I'm Adrian.

Default Recommendations for a CDP to use as a transport please (not expensive)

As I have still got quite a few CDs that I want to keep and us I am thinking about getting a CDP to connect digitally to my Caiman SEG DAC, it can have both COAX or optical but would prefer both. (if you happen to have a spare knocking about let me know)

I am currently using a Sony Blue-Ray player as transport, its OK but I think a CDP may be better. I used to have a Meridian 508, and I doubt I will get close to this in SQ but you never know.

Thanks, Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

I just sold my Marantz CD 6000 OSE KI Signature CD Player on Sunday. That would have been perfect.

Have you considered using a cheap usb drive with the Pi Volumio plug in?

I'm Rob.

Yes a Marantz would be a good choice. If you can pick up a cheap CD63 or 67 that is a good starting point. I got a 63 some years ago at an Audiojumble for £2o and did some major mods to it, including a Trichord Clock. During lockdown I made a separate PS for it which as a transport took it to a new level.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I just sold my Marantz CD 6000 OSE KI Signature CD Player on Sunday. That would have been perfect.

Have you considered using a cheap usb drive with the Pi Volumio plug in?
    Hi Geoff,

About a year ago I tried my Apple USB drive, only to find out that it needed to be a USB drive with external power feed. When I looked into it at the time I thought only one was suitable to use with a RPI 2/Volumio, but I might be wrong. If there are any that you know work and can be controlled from Volumio please let me know?

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Geoff,

About a year ago I tried my Apple USB drive, only to find out that it needed to be a USB drive with external power feed. When I looked into it at the time I thought only one was suitable to use with a RPI 2/Volumio, but I might be wrong. If there are any that you know work and can be controlled from Volumio please let me know?

Cheers

Adrian
    There is stuff on Google about how to do it. IIRC it involves using a Volumio plug in?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    There is stuff on Google about how to do it. IIRC it involves using a Volumio plug in?
    Yes, I looked at the stuff on Volumio.org about the Nanosound plugin, from what I can see it does not seem to be that reliable, but I could be wrong. Trying to find a decent usb CDP that is not one of those awful half tray things does not seem to be that simple. The one I did find with external power was quite pricey.

I'm Geoff.

Pioneer PD-S505 Precision. Very nice sound as a stand alone player or as a transport. They don't seem to go wrong either. Usually modestly priced.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Pioneer PD-S505 Precision. Very nice sound as a stand alone player or as a transport. They don't seem to go wrong either. Usually modestly priced.
    Thanks Geoff, I will keep my eye out for one along with a Marantz 63 or 67

I'm Adam.

PlayStation 1
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Gary.

My Reccy...been looking over CD transports for a while now.

Audiolab 6000CDT
    £379

Paul Rigby likes it a lot.

https://www.hifichoice.com/content/audiolab-6000cdt
    https://hifitrends.com/2020/04/09/th...unboxing-pics/
    https://www.richersounds.com/audiola...cdt-black.html

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/top...-cd-transport/

Getting back into CDs, picking one of these up next Month m’self.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 27-08-2020 at 18:22.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast