+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from not so sunny Somerset.

I'm Ben.

Default Hi from not so sunny Somerset.

Hi Guys.

Where to begin? Well i've had a love of music and audio equipment since before I was a teenager. I would get dragged around to car boot sales and jumble sales in the late 80's and early 90's by my mum, but I was always on the look out for some gear.

My first 'decent' set up was when I was around 11, purchased from a jumble sale for £5. Leak Stereo 30 amp, Wharfedale Denton speakers and a Pioneer PL12 deck. That was five weeks wages for me getting a pound a week pocket money! I didn't really know it was decent then, it was just something to play some music on.

Anyway, next decent set up (which I still have) was when I was 15, I swapped my uncle for a 486 computer. A Beomaster 4400 receiver, M75 speakers and a Beogram 1500 turntable. Unfortunately my Uncle lent the Beogram 4002 to his brother, and his brother returned the 1500 instead.

I kept that as my main system for quite a while, eventually buying myself a Beogram 4004, along with an MMC20EN, MMC6000 and a new old stock MMC20CL (i've only ever used this for one track since obtaining it).

More recently, I ventured further afield. A friend of a friend gave me some ESS AMT 1C speakers, so I started looking for some US audio gear. I finally ended up with a GAS Thoebe pre amp and a Sumo Andromeda power amp. I was still using the Beogram 4004 with this.

Then along came my child, and I haven't had much time for enjoying it.

During all this Covid business, I thought about getting back into it, and moving along to a better turntable. I was considering vintage still, but was looking at Japanese, so was looking at the likes of an SL110, SL120, SL150 etc. Then I thought about perhaps an SP25 or 15, but I came across a good deal on an SP10mk2! So I ended up with that. Needs a refinish and could do with new electrolytics, but I don't mind a project. So now I need to get on with that, build or obtain a plinth, a tonearm and cartridge.

There has been loads of other gear in between, some of which I still have. But the ones i've written about have been the most memorable.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Ben. Welcome to AOS.

Join in the fun and get to know your way around the site and see what's going on.

Technics turntables have a large following here, so you'll find plenty to interest you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Ben,
    Welcome to AOS
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Adrian.

Hello Ben, welcome to AoS from not so sunny Devon. What music do you listen to?

There are 3 very good threads for Classical, Jazz/Blue and General music under https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...l-Compositions, good for finding new stuff.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Ben.

B&O make excellent gear that not only sounds good, but is stylish as well. I have great admiration for B&O cartridges, not only the SP series, but especially the MMC series.

The Technics SP10 will make for an interesting project - let us know how you get on.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Ben.

Thanks guys.

I've been away from this hobby for a while, but always kept my interest going by buying new vinyl when I heard something I particularly liked, even if I couldn't play it straight away. I mostly listen to '80s' era music. A wide range from Asia, Def Leppard, A flock of Seagulls, Depeche Mode, Phil Collins/Genesis, Eric Clapton, Pet Shop Boys, Dire Straits, Roxy Music the list goes on.

I have a decent collection of vintage and not so vintage B&O gear, but unfortunately going to have to move most of it on, as my storage will be lost in a few months. I do have a couple of Linear tracking turntables from the plastic era, but the 4002 and 4004 are in a different league. Also got a pair of funny CD104 based 14bit CDX cd players, and one of the upside down loading CD50's in my Beosystem 5000.

I'm actually half tempted to use the MMC20CL in the Technics SP10, depending on the arm I eventually get, but I could probably sell that cartridge and buy something much better.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Ben,

If you do decide to sell the MMC20CL, I might be interested.
    Barry

I'm Ben.

Barry,

I'll bear that in mind when I know what my plans will be.

Cheers,
    Ben

I'm Dave.

Hi Ben, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum. I hear black cat records are no longer in Taunton, shame great shop for vinyl.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

+ Reply to Thread