+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Kevin.

I spoke to Matt of the Funk firm, and he tells me it is primarily designed to fit the Technics platter (which you don’t have ) to stop the platter ring.

APM is available to buy in the store but currently on back order. It is a technics mat with a glass backing to cure ringing platter on one of the new models (not sure which )? It will go up with all information when stocks replenish in new year. (It’s on the long list)
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, yes, primarily, but it was also recommended to me as an upgrade for the stock Achromat, which would also optimise the effect of the Houdini - and I can confirm that both are true!

Btw, mine is designed to fit the surface of a normal platter. In any case, the APM is a no-brainer upgrade on the stock achromat, for ALL turntables, if you can accommodate the extra 'thickness' and make the necessary adjustments to VTA.

I'll take some pics later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Hence the use of the word “primarily”.
    I don’t need one (I don’t think) on my Strata platter.
    Kevin

Well, if you use an Achromat [yes/no?] then the APM will defo be an upgrade, no matter which platter it's sat on. You can never have too much effective isolation

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

I am not 100% sure that an achromat with a glass back will be any different to an achromat bonded to a glass platter, if I am honest.
    Taking the old one off will not be easy, and hard to replace as I have heard they are discontinuing the 5mm version.
    Kevin

Ah if you've bonded it that's different, then leave well alone

Marco.
    Main System

In other news, I've ordered these Jantzen caps, for the Celestions, to replace the original electrolytics: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...apacitors.html

They were the only 'sanely priced' ones I could find in 12uF, and cheap as chips! Should do the job nicely, in combination with the Jupiter Copper Foils

I've also ordered some of this Jantzen speaker cable, to rewire the internals [nothing fancy, but it'll do the job and be a million times better than what's in there now]: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...e-2x13awg.html

Full report on the results when both have been fitted!

Marco.
    Main System

Final work carried out on the Tandberg, which has come to £160, now including new heads and fully calibrated for the tapes of my choice:

And it's now ready for collection!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

You have to decide what the first album you tape on it is going to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Jeez, with around 3000 CDs and 4000 LPs, that's gonna be a tough one!

Some Dan? You know I'm a big fan Well, I have all of their albums of vinyl... It'll be interesting though how close I can get the tape to sound like the original

Do you still have something to play tapes on? I could send you a mix, lol... Del still has the Walkman she used in college, and it works perfectly!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast