+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 81 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, Guys... As you may guess from the time of this post, I've been up late listening to music, so I guess that says it all!

Yes, the SUT is excellent and pretty much everything I'd remembered it to be. It doesn't trounce the Lentek, but simply presents an alternative 'take' on the music. It may not be just quite as ballsy and up front as the latter, but the midrange is more open and textured, and the bass seems to be a little deeper and more rhythmic, with increased 'boogie factor'.

It certainly allows music to motor along in an informative and fun way! I'm also finding that it gets better the longer a signal is running through it, which I've found before with transformers, in that they sound better after 'warming up', so yes I'm delighted with the SUT, and the good thing is that unlike with the Lentek you're not worrying about batteries!

Darren, I think you'll like it

Marco.
    It sounds like I'd like it! I'm getting into a "less ballsy" sound lately as the way I listen to music at home has changed. I'm glad it was worth the wait, I can't wait to hear it or the rest of your system. How long has it been??

Nice purchase on the 306, I really like the look of them, but have never heard one. You might have to look at adjusting the input sensitivity as a priority. If it's anything like the 405 it will be loaded for a passive input, so will need adjustment to mate well with the Croft.

Plus, a VERY long time ago (Darren will laugh here), he came round to mine and spent considerable time routing a dedicated pair of speaker cables from the hi-fi/music room upstairs, under the floorboards and down through the ceiling into the lounge, so that I could listen to my main system through the Celestions downstairs...

Remember that, Dazza? It'll be somewhere in the dusty recesses of your memory banks!
    Remember?!? I've tried to forget! Drilling through100+ year old 3.5" Old Growth Pine joists, on something like 12" spacing, with just a couple of boards up has scarred me for life! I'm happy you're eventually going to put them to use, it'll stop me from resentfully looking at the tails every time I come round to yours
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    It sounds like I'd like it! I'm getting into a "less ballsy" sound lately as the way I listen to music at home has changed. I'm glad it was worth the wait, I can't wait to hear it or the rest of your system. How long has it been??
    Your guess is as good as mine. 3 years?

Nice purchase on the 306, I really like the look of them, but have never heard one. You might have to look at adjusting the input sensitivity as a priority. If it's anything like the 405 it will be loaded for a passive input, so will need adjustment to mate well with the Croft.
    So how would I adjust the input sensitivity, and what would you envisage happening otherwise? I'm not really au fait with that kind of thing, although Ian (one of my mates, don't think you've met him), brought round his 405-2s to mine a few times and they worked fine with the Croft. I guess we'll see, though.

Remember?!? I've tried to forget! Drilling through100+ year old 3.5" Old Growth Pine joists, on something like 12" spacing, with just a couple of boards up has scarred me for life! I'm happy you're eventually going to put them to use, it'll stop me from resentfully looking at the tails every time I come round to yours
    Ha - just glad you didn't tell anyone about those dead bodies you found...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

So how would I adjust the input sensitivity, and what would you envisage happening otherwise? I'm not really au fait with that kind of thing, although Ian (one of my mates, don't think you've met him), brought round his 405-2s to mine a few times and they worked fine with the Croft. I guess we'll see, though.

Marco.

Very simple. Here.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Cheers, Geoff. However, I've no idea what the likely result will be of using it with the Croft 'as is'... Do you think it would have too much or not enough gain? I know you don't know the figures, but just your gut feeling?

No idea what the input sensitivity is of my Copper amp, so that's one to ask Anthony. Like I said though, a mate brought round his 405-2s and they were fine, so is the gain on the 306 different from that on the 405s?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

You won't do any harm if (obviously) you start with the volume down, but you could find the advance a bit abrupt. The mod is only one easily accessible resistor. Not needed to do it on mine used with the passive pre-amps.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

By the way, I often try new pre-amp/power amp combos with a passive between them first, just to be on the safe side and to gauge the gain.

Yeah, good idea, mate. I hear what you're saying about the potential outcome. I also have an LDR I could use, but in any case, with any new amps I'm using, I always start off with the volume down low, just to be safe!

If the input sensitivity needs adjusting though, I'm just wondering which value of resistors to choose? Probably best with both an 18 and 27R, and experiment to find the sweet spot.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Chris.

So how would I adjust the input sensitivity,Marco.
    Ideally all equipment we use, should match the level of the source media we purchase or use.

If used with a passive, then there is no need to change the sensitivity with a 306, as it then is perfectly suited to line level output from almost every known source component. This is because the RMS level in media we use rarely exceeds 350mv , The source component equipment can have, and usually does have much higher specification, but the media itself ie CD's Flac files etc in my experience never exceeds the 350mv mark, see attached which is a flac file being read by Audacity, the RMS level is in light blue

Level changes away from the source level, appeasing other equipment's lack of sensitivity,( IMO then on entirely the wrong path ) is then neatly avoided.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Cheers, Geoff. However, I've no idea what the likely result will be of using it with the Croft 'as is'... Do you think it would have too much or not enough gain? I know you don't know the figures, but just your gut feeling?

No idea what the input sensitivity is of my Copper amp, so that's one to ask Anthony. Like I said though, a mate brought round his 405-2s and they were fine, so is the gain on the 306 different from that on the 405s?

Marco.
    The sensitivity of the Quad 405-2 is 500mV for full output. That used to be standard for the Quad solid-state power amplifiers: 303 and 405. I don't know about the 306, but the 510 and 520 have an adjustable sensitivity, nominally 775mV.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The sensitivity of the Quad 405-2 is 500mV for full output. That used to be standard for the Quad solid-state power amplifiers: 303 and 405. I don't know about the 306, but the 510 and 520 have an adjustable sensitivity, nominally 775mV.
    According to the info Geoff stated in post 453, it's 375mV, so does that mean that the 405-2 is less or more sensitive than the 306?

To get a proper handle on this though, I shall have to ask Anthony what the sensitivity is of the Copper amp, so I can gauge how well my Croft preamp is liable to match the 306 as standard.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 81 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast