+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 81 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, plus I'm sure I'd have heard the associated distortion you've described

I've rolled every available variant of 6SL7 in my amp (although obviously not every one in existence from every manufacturer) and never had a problem, including Russian 6H9C.

Check out the spec for those, as I'm sure that they also vary a little from standard 6SL7s, in terms of their electrical requirements.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Charlie. Glad to be of assistance and hope you like it! Did you manage to source an original 'Made in USA' body and NOS Shure stylus (with white writing on the front)? Those are the real deal!

Marco.
    I think the body is a later one. Stylus is NOS Shure USA with the white lettering, got to wait for them to arrive... In the meantime I've dusted down my modded Lenco with Lustre GST1 and V15111 MR, wow it sounds good. The SC35C will have its work cut out to impress me!

Have a look just on top of the output pins on the cartridge, and if it says 'Made in USA' then yours is an Evanston model. If not, it'll be made in Mexico, which is fine. It's certainly not disastrous, as the much bigger difference is in having a proper NOS stylus

I'm sure the combo you're using now sounds great, as I love EVERY part of it! So I wouldn't expect the Shure to be no-brainer better, but it will offer you a different 'take' on your favourite music - it's certainly a fun listen!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Cool Denon PCL-300 pressed into service, awaiting the incoming 103GL...

I'm thinking of using my NOS Denon PCL-300 headshell, onto which when it arrives, I'll fit the 103GL. I think it should be a good match, both visually and sonically (when attached to my Ortofon RS-212D tonearm):

Denon's top headshell, from 1996. Originally selling for £70. Now mint, boxed, ones can go for anything up to £250! 2-ply anodised aluminium-coated, aluminium-alloy shell, fitted with with 6N-copper leads. 14g.

Hopefully it'll be a good combo! My finger is also hovering dangerously over a set of these Furutech 'La Source' headshell leads, which I've always wanted to try, but the eye-watering price has always put me off! I own a number of 'hi-end' Furutech products, and the quality of construction and performance is simply second to none.

However, my intention is to put together a 'final' cartridge/headshell combo for my T/T, which I intend on using for life [or as long as it lasts], so should I bite the bullet and just pull the trigger?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Furutech-...s/293088517582

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Furutech headshell leads are less than an inch long. You may find that to be insufficient.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

I'm sorry that's just bonkers.

Hi Barry,

No, mate, they should be perfect. The 103 is a big cartridge, so when installed in the PCL-300 headshell, the output pins will be pretty close to the input pins on the headshell, see here (fitted with a 103R, which is the same size):

Around an inch should suffice, darling, as the bishop said to the actress!

What do you think of the 103GL - were you aware of it, and have you ever heard one? It's wound with 4N gold coils, which carbon-fibre bodyshell aside, gives it a special sound that's quite different from a stock 103!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I'm sorry that's just bonkers.

I know, but you only live once! Plus, I may be able to use my contacts to wangle a deal

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Ah - I see what you mean:

Also, the leads have to cross one another between the headshell pins and the cartridge pins; so that will use up a bit of length.

I have no experience of your Denon, the only ones I have heard are my two DL103s; both of which are now down in the order of preference of my MC cartridges (having been surplanted by my EMTs, Ortofons, a Van den Hul, and my current favourite: the Ikeda C9 III (a cantileverless (à la Decca) moving-coil design, that combines the strengths of a Decca with that of a moving-coil cartridge, with none of the weaknesses).
    Barry

Just thinking more about your point about length, lol... It says on the blurb, quote:

"Dimensions: Approx 2.5±0.1mm diameter x 23.5± 0.5mm overall length"... That's simply referring to the wee bit of wire in the middle.

Including the insulated connectors (if you look at the above picture), the cables as a whole will be long enough to reach where they need to go!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 81 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast