+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol... Well, I quite like that, because I share your love of 'simple clean lines', when it comes to hi-fi, and the unfussy (but classy) appearance of that deck is quite attractive, if a little bulky.

I think what I hate most about the looks of B&O gear is their turntables, with their skinny, tinny looking platters/horrible 'shiny plastic' looking mats and lightweight arms, as they're the complete antithesis of how I like T/Ts to look, and that's PURPOSEFUL/high-mass, rather 'soberly' styled, built like a brick shithouse and MASSIVELY over-engineered!!

Hence why I love vintage broadcast T/Ts....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Default The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I think what I hate most about the looks of B&O gear is their turntables, with their skinny, tinny looking platters/horrible 'shiny plastic' looking mats and lightweight arms, as they're the complete antithesis of how I like T/Ts to look, and that's PURPOSEFUL/high-mass, rather 'soberly' styled, built like a brick shithouse and MASSIVELY over-engineered!!

Hence why I love vintage broadcast T/Ts....

Marco.
    I’m busy for the rest of the morning babysitting a 55kW PSU soak test but I’m not going to let that go un-responded to!

However, I heartily approve of the new cassette deck - very nice indeed!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have no idea of the SQ, but I do like the looks of the B&O 1900:

(Totally unrelated BTW - but I really dislike the use of 'Copperplate' or 'Italic' lettering on any audio gear.)
    No, Barry, the one you want is the Beocord 2400. Almost identical to the 1900 externally but better inside.

However, far more importantly than any of this is that the Beocord 2400’s gorgeous big meters work on both record and playback - the 1900’s only work on record, which is just WRONG!!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I’m busy for the rest of the morning babysitting a 55kW PSU soak test but I’m not going to let that go un-responded to!
    Lol - when I wrote that I was thinking of you!

However, I do mean what I said, lol... Ultimately, it's a personal taste thing

However, I heartily approve of the new cassette deck - very nice indeed!
    Lol - cheers... I'm loving it.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Right, I'm out of the lab and the PSU didn't go bang, which is good news...

It might actually surprise you to know, Marco, that I know what you mean about the arms on B&O turntables. They do look a bit spindly and weedy! However, they are that way for a reason, namely to minimise the effective mass that is seen by their proprietary cartridges, and it works well. Also, if you haven't heard a good one, you should try and to have a listen to a good one, one day as I think you'd not only be surprised, but would like it. As you often mention, you don't like the colder, clinical "hi-fi" sound, but a warmer, more mellifluous and musical sonic presentation, and this is what B&O does so well. I know you don't like heading south of the M42 but if you are ever passing Hampshire, you're welcome to clap your ears round my Beogram 8002/MMC2 - you might just enjoy it!

And anyway, I'm confident with my spindly B&O arms - I've no need to compensate!

I'm also with you on the good old analogue VU meters on cassette decks, so It's a surprise to no-one more than me that I recently sold my Aiwa AD-6900 which, as you may know, has double needles, with peak and VU meters in the same housing. The trouble is that my recently acquired Yamaha KX-1200 was just a bit better than it, has remote control and, most importantly, has LED meters that I can see from across the room, unlike the Aiwa's VUs!

Still, my main cassette deck is still a B&O Beocord 8004 - lovely big LEDs and there ain't nothing spindly about it at all!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

No, Barry, the one you want is the Beocord 2400. Almost identical to the 1900 externally but better inside.

However, far more importantly than any of this is that the Beocord 2400’s gorgeous big meters work on both record and playback - the 1900’s only work on record, which is just WRONG!!
    OK, the 2400 it is then:

The 1900 does come in for some criticism for it's internal construction.
    Barry

It might actually surprise you to know, Marco, that I know what you mean about the arms on B&O turntables. They do look a bit spindly and weedy! However, they are that way for a reason, namely to minimise the effective mass that is seen by their proprietary cartridges, and it works well.
    Lol, I know... Thing is, my approach to vinyl replay is all about MASS - and PLENTY of it, judiciously applied in the right way!

High-mass T/Ts and arms, combined with low-compliance/high-VTF cartridges, has always produced the best sound to my ears, so that's the way I'll always go.

Also, if you haven't heard a good one, you should try and to have a listen to a good one, one day as I think you'd not only be surprised, but would like it. As you often mention, you don't like the colder, clinical "hi-fi" sound, but a warmer, more mellifluous and musical sonic presentation, and this is what B&O does so well. I know you don't like heading south of the M42 but if you are ever passing Hampshire, you're welcome to clap your ears round my Beogram 8002/MMC2 - you might just enjoy it!
    Nice one, thanks, and yes I appreciate that, and indeed I may well enjoy it. However, let's not lose sight of the fact that the discussion was revolved around LOOKS, not sonic performance. I didn't say that I hated the B&O SOUND... However, no matter how good the T/Ts sounded, I couldn't live with them because of their appearance

I'm also with you on the good old analogue VU meters on cassette decks, so It's a surprise to no-one more than me that I recently sold my Aiwa AD-6900 which, as you may know, has double needles, with peak and VU meters in the same housing. The trouble is that my recently acquired Yamaha KX-1200 was just a bit better than it, has remote control and, most importantly, has LED meters that I can see from across the room, unlike the Aiwa's VUs!
    Lol... The thing is, I just think that VU meters are *SO* much sexier looking than LEDs (frankly there's no comparison), and also plenty accurate enough for my purposes. A professional recording engineer I ain't.

Ultimately, it's about what sounds good and is the most FUN to use!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    OK, the 2400 it is then:

The 1900 does come in for some criticism for it's internal construction.
    Yes it's nice, but about twice the size it needs to be!

I like gear that's well-built, sounds good, but also compact and easy to house.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes it's nice, but about twice the size it needs to be!

I like gear that's well-built, sounds good, but also compact and easy to house.

Marco.
    You want to try taking one apart and seeing just how much is crammed into it!

It is actually quite dinky. I’ll try and shoot some Beocord 2400/8004/Yammie KX-1200 comparative pics for you in the next day or two.

I'm Josie.

The older B&O stuff was really well made. I had a CD7000 once, it was built like a tank. A very well designed thing and really reliable.

I think it was early 90's.

Not sure about the quality of the later stuff though.

I like the look of the Tandburg, Marco. It looks the biz. Is it really up there with a Nakamichi in terms to SQ?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast