+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ....plus true timeless classics, such as the LS3/5a.

Marco.
    I’ll be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no idea what the massive fuss is about the LS3/5A or why good examples command such preposterous prices.

It was designed by the BBC as an outside broadcast monitor that was mainly used for vocals and I will grant you it does have a sweet midrange. However, overall I personally consider it to be a competent but ultimately limited small loudspeaker. Nothing more; nothing less.

As to the BBC voicing - this is merely one way of doing things and, whilst there are some examples that I do like (such as the bigger Harbeths and Spendors) I wouldn’t necessarily say it is the be all and end all.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vinyl Adventure View Post
    OMG I use these and have 100's on the shelf £1 each

LOL

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/p...e%20connectors
    Lol... Never even thought about you mate, as I don't associate you with something as 'low-brow' as that

Next time I'll remember

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Mine look nothing like that, mind you mine are an older version on the 15's. At least it's only one cap to replace.
    Ah ok... I guess the only way I'll know what's inside mine then is to take a look!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    As to the BBC voicing - this is merely one way of doing things and, whilst there are some examples that I do like (such as the bigger Harbeths and Spendors) I wouldn’t necessarily say it is the be all and end all.
    Sure, not the "be all and end all", but to my ears, with standmount speakers, hugely desirable over the type of presentation mostly offered now by their modern counterparts!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Ah ok... I guess the only way I'll know what's inside mine then is to take a look!

Marco.
    Yep get your posidriver out and take a pic. You'll be buying vintage caps next to "tune" them . This is a practice which a BIG over in Japan where vintage mullard caps/transistors go for silly money.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

I've never seem the point of any expensive miniature two-way speaker.

If you've got that kind of cash to spend, get something large enough where the size is not compromising everything else. And if you really don't have the room (you're living in your car for example) just buy a cheap one. Or stick with headphones.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yep get your posidriver out and take a pic. You'll be buying vintage caps next to "tune" them . This is a practice which a BIG over in Japan where vintage mullard caps/transistors go for silly money.
    Lol - well, that's what might be in there already, especially with the early vintage of these particular speakers. I've seen pics of PYE caps attached to the crossovers of some early 15s, which are essentially rebranded Philips/Mullard.

However, no I won't be doing that. One area where things have no-brainer moved on BIG TIME, is in the quality of electrical components available, such as capacitors. The best of today's polypropylene varieties really are in a different league, as we've learned so much in that area during the last 50 years!

Shame I can't say that about many of today's speakers....

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've never seem the point of any expensive miniature two-way speaker.

If you've got that kind of cash to spend, get something large enough where the size is not compromising everything else. And if you really don't have the room (you're living in your car for example) just buy a cheap one. Or stick with headphones.
    I get where you're coming from - well I would do, wouldn't I, with the 'wardrobes' I've got sitting upstairs - but done well, small (or smallish) standmounts have an 'intimacy' and lack of coloration to their musical presentation, simply due to the lack of box.

In that respect, if you're willing to sacrifice ultimate low-end heft, then the results can be magical with *some* types of music, but of course not all, and the types of music that they can excel at, aren't really to your taste.

The good thing about the Ditton 15s, is that their ABRs really do help in making them sound much bigger than they are, filling in the low-end nicely, and adding a goodly dose of 'wallop' to bass lines (and as I heard last night while watching a movie) crash/bang action sound effects (in conjunction with my twin Yamaha subs)... Plus, you still get their gorgeously fluid and open midrange, which I can tell you is better than that of many floorstanders!

I love them to bits, as aesthetically they fit in really well with the room, and sonically with the Sony amp, which is no slouch at 2-channel duties (with all tone controls and effects processing defeated), and so can happily listen to music through them for hours

One area too where they're notably better than the XRs, with being more efficient, is that you don't need to turn the volume up as much to get a 'room filling' sound. I think they're around 90db, which is a lot for small standmount designs, and that really helps them 'project' sound into the room with consummate ease, giving superb clarity to vocals, which is ably apparent simply by listening to TV programmes through them, and how accurately they reproduce the human voice.

Interesting review of them here, back in the day, by the one and only HB: http://www.audio4maniacs.co.uk/blog-...nditton15.html

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Interesting review of them here, back in the day, by the one and only HB: http://www.audio4maniacs.co.uk/blog-...nditton15.html

Marco.
    The review appears to be incomplete as it just seems to stop part way through the description and there is no conclusion. There are also a couple of what I'd describe as minor mistakes in Hayden's interpretation of the design or at least they don't match my thoughts.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Such as, Geoff?

In terms of the review, it's a bit jumbled up, due to whoever it was having copied the pages in the wrong sequence, but it's all there if you look and can manage to decipher the content in the right order!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast