+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Just a little update on the Mullard M8098 voltage regulator and M8137 combo... Well, oh lordy it's stunning!

It's undoubtedly the best combination of those valves I've ever heard in the Croft. I've no idea why I stopped using an M8137 (as a premium ECC83 equivalent) and started messing around with other makes of valves, as it is quite simply THE BEST.

As good as the La Radiotechnique 12AX7 is I was using before, and it's a superb sounding tube, the M8137 takes things to another level.

Quite simply, it does the classic 'Mullard thing', which is a producing a lovely natural, open, detailed and lucid mid and top end, such that it often makes valves of the same type from other manufacturers sound rather false and tonally 'forced', (zingy/fuzzy) in comparison - and somewhat like using a tone control, where certain aspects of the frequency response were artificially boosted or muted.

The M8137, in comparison, sounds very even-handed and 'linear', top to bottom throughout the frequency range, and in terms of the low frequencies, they're firm and full but not in any way overblown. Detail retrieval has also gone up a notch, with subtle nuances popping out in musical mixes that previously were glossed over. In conclusion, it's pretty obvious why these valves are so sonically sought after!

However, a special mention must go to the M098, which is head and shoulders the best version of the 85A2 I've heard. This one is vintage 1950s 'golden era' valves at its best. For me there's a unique musicality to valves from this era (or earlier), especially military spec ones such as this.

When I received this valve today from Langrex, it came in a lovely original box, carefully wrapped in its original packaging, totally untouched and NOS, along even with its original guarantee certificate, which had clearly never been opened! The whole thing 'felt' special before I'd even installed it and listened to it. However, the most special thing about it is the sound....

Rather uncannily, it seems to have lowered the Croft's 'operating noise-floor', widened the soundstage and also held music in more of a vice-like grip, such that bass is tighter and more extended, with heightened rhythmic alacrity - almost as if a bigger power supply had been fitted - it's just scarily good and hugely addictive!

So... If you've got a Croft preamp (or other amp) that uses this type of voltage regulator, and can find an M8098 voltage regulator valve, then my advice would be snap it up, tout suite, and prepare to hear it like never before.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Thats good news regarding to M8098 I managed to get one some time ago but never tried it in the Preamp. Looks like I'll be unhooking the Croft again!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

No worries, Andy. I think you'll like it

Btw, those 1940s-vintage Raytheon grey-glass 6SL7GTs have arrived - remember the ones you said were ok but nothing special? Well, in my Croft these specific ones are sounding SUPERB, and among the best I've heard! Very wide-open, detailed and dynamic, and create a vast 'walk around' soundstage - hugely impressed!

Are you sure that the ones you had were NOS military-spec 1940s vintage, and not later examples? IME, the very early 6SL7s, produced during the 40s, for military applications, invariably sound best, and considerably better than later examples.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

I've had a look at your photo and I notice that one of your valves appears to be National Union and the other Raytheon. Are they the same? It could be that you have two VT229's but re badged under two differing names? They do look identical, you'll need to check the internal construction and make date. Yes I have tested those valves, they are down the list of the one's I've tested, in at number 7. I've tried 12 different types now and you'll notice that the upper spots are dominated by special military variants with the 5691, so far, being the best I've heard. I've included below what I've trialled. There some notable exemptions such as Mullard ECC35's and the Melz 5 dot versions, they will appear at some point on the horizon so at the moment I stalk the USA for different 6sl7's.

1. RCA 5691 (Red Base) 9.75/10
    2. Bendix 5691 (Red Base) 9.75/10
    3. Tung Sol 6S7GT (Black Bottle) 9.6/10
    4. Tung Sol 6SL7GT (Orange base) 9.5/10
    5. Mullard 6SL7GT (Black base) 9.25/10
    6. Ken Rad 6SL7GT (Black Base) VT229 9.25/10
    7. Raytheon 6SL79 VT229 (Black bottle) 9.1/10
    8. Tung Sol 6SL7GT VT229 (Black bottle) 9.1/10
    9. General Electric GSL7GT (Black base 1970's) 8.75 / 10
    10. Slyvania 6SL7GT black base 7/10
    11. Brimar 6SL7GT (black base) 6.25/10
    12. Reflektor black base 70's version 5/10
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Josie.

Hi Andrew.

Just a note, Marco's are grey glass. We're yours the same?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

I'd like to do some rolling. I have Brimar Mill spec 1988 black glass 6SN7s in my copper. I'd like to give something else a go.

As for my croft. I still have the Synvania 6SL7s mill spec in my phono stage as recommended by Marco quite a few years ago now.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Andrew.

Just a note, Marco's are grey glass. We're yours the same?

Hi Jo,

Yes they are the same. I've seen quite a few forums over in the USA where these values are simply referred to as "black bottles" I don't think they differentiate. But in the picture they do look grey, perhaps they are a slight variant?? I'd wager money they are probably made by the same company and sourced out the Raytheon and National Union. They do look identical. I've tried the Slyvania 6SL7GT black base and found them to be a nice sounding valve and I lived when them for quite some time until I went nuts and started by different matched pairs of 6SL7's every Sunday night after a few drams of single malt!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Hi guys,

Firstly, the glass is defo grey, not a black of any description!

And yes, both are VT-229s, so military spec 6SL7GTs. One is badged as Raytheon, and the other as National Union. The internal construction of both valves is identical. It's my understanding that Raytheon (once a huge electronics and vacuum tube producing company) had some of their tubes rebranded under different names, one of which was National Union. So essentially they are Raytheons.

The key factors in terms of how good they sound is that they are a very closely matched pair, indeed one valve is fully balanced, and that they are 1940s vintage. That last bit is CRUCIAL, in terms of ascertaining if the ones you've had, Andy, were the same. IME, even one or two years of age difference can have a significant impact on matters.

Therefore, 1950s, 60s, 70s or later ones, all sound quite different, with the earlier varieties invariably always being best. Therefore, ONLY if yours were 1940s vintage and grey-glass can you say you've heard the same valves... I also like red-base 5691s, but unlike you they aren't my favourite 6SL7.

As I've said before, mate, results are totally dependent on the circuit used, and we've already identified in a previous discussion we had about 5691s, with your Croft needing modified by Alan before it could take them, and mine not, so clearly our amps react differently to the valves used, therefore proving that it's pointless compiling lists of 'The best 6SL7s', in a sense that it will apply universally or be definitive, which of course for reasons stated it can't.

In that respect, unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' valve, of any description, but nonetheless that doesn't stop you or I recommending specific ones, and it being interesting (and also potentially beneficial) to others

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, until I have a peek inside, that's not been confirmed! So we'll see...
    Which we did today and the answer is 12uF

The next big question, is what will you replace it with?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I'd like to do some rolling. I have Brimar Mill spec 1988 black glass 6SN7s in my copper. I'd like to give something else a go.

As for my croft. I still have the Synvania 6SL7s mill spec in my phono stage as recommended by Marco quite a few years ago now.

try these they are a step above in my opinion https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-Tung-Sol-6F8G
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast