+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm Adam.

Reading this thread with great interest
    I too have a Shure SC35 cartridge, USA made, original NOS stylus.

I enjoy the cartridge's boogie factor very much, It's a very enjoyable thing for the money.

It's only after swapping out to far more expensive price point cartridges
    do I notice it's short comings, and in my system it does have some way to go.
    Hence me following the tread as closely as possible to see where I can optimise, maybe i need to tweak!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Get in there Marco, you're defo having fun arnt you
    Lol - defo, mate!

The Goldring G-820 has been mentioned before, and the description of its sound intrigued me: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...hono-Cartridge

That was with its conical stylus, so it'll be interesting hearing what the 'posher' one brings to the party... Also my Nagaoka crystal stabilizer arrived today, which I've been using with the 'Achromat+):

It's got a strobe too, which is quite funny, but there's also a useful little ceramic ball, which when in motion, as the platter is spinning, circles the circumference of a small inner-circle [which you can see if you look closely], to indicate how level it is, and also the turntable:

Goldring fitted to a Sumiko headshell. It's the only one that would fit, as it's a very long, chunky cartridge:

The Nagaoka stabiliser sounds ABSOLUTELY FAB with the 'Achromat+' Arthur sent me (as pictured above), which has a glass section forming the mat's base, for extra damping of vibrational energy. I need to try the Nagaoka crystal stabilizer now with its intended partner, which is the crystal mat, and see what that does!

Yup, lots of toys to play and have fun with... More later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Reading this thread with great interest
    I too have a Shure SC35 cartridge, USA made, original NOS stylus.

I enjoy the cartridge's boogie factor very much, It's a very enjoyable thing for the money.

It's only after swapping out to far more expensive price point cartridges
    do I notice it's short comings, and in my system it does have some way to go.
    Hence me following the tread as closely as possible to see where I can optimise, maybe i need to tweak!
    Hi Adam,

How's it going, mate? You've been rather quiet lately, so hope you're well!

I know what you mean about far more expensive cartridges [by that I presume you're referring to MCs], but trust me when the Shure is loaded correctly (as has been discussed), and most importantly used in a high-mass arm, it's frankly amazing how good it sounds.

So in terms of tweaks, if you're not using it in a headshell that weighs at least 17g, then you won't be realising its potential, ditto with loading/capacitance tuning, plus some folks don't use the correct VTF, with the NOS stylus, and track it too light at 3g or so, which is wrong. The sweet spot is 4.5g.

That done, it'll show a clean pair of heels to most MMs, and in the particular areas where it excels (bass authority and 'fun factor'), many MCs! Plus it's none too shabby at everything else

I'd defo have another play with yours....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Barry,

No I haven't 'dispensed' with it at all. It's in my spares box, fitted with a latest production Shure stylus.

I intend on fitting it with one of the NOS Shure styli [undoubtedly the most important factor in generating the best sound] I recently bought on ebay, and then do a comparison between Evanston and 'Mexico vintage' bodies, in the same headshell...

Ideally you should use the exact same stylus in each body, and try each body under identical conditions. Will be interested to learn of the results: there are similar thoughts expressed by some concerning the brown and the black body Shure M55E.

I suspect you'll be interested in the outcome of that!

Marco.

P.S Well done, btw, for coming up with the correct added capacitance figure for the loading plugs (see my previous post)

Ideally you should use the exact same stylus in each body (not two separate samples of the stylus), and try each body under identical mounting conditions. Will be interested to learn of the results: there are similar thoughts expressed by some concerning the brown and the black body Shure M55E.
    Barry

Yup, most certainly... I now have four NOS styli, for the SC35C, plus one of the latest (read as last) production ones, plus three 'bodies': two Evanston and one Mexico. I also have two AT-MG10 headshells, fitted with the same cartridge leads and mounting hardware.

Therefore, what I'll do is select one Evanston 'body' and NOS stylus, pop it in one of the above headshells, and fit the 'Mexico' to the other, and listen to the former first, then remove the stylus and fit it to the 'Mexico body' in the other shell, ensuring that all other variables are the same - and report the results!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Nightmare, mate. Wee tip, well two, actually... Firstly, always ensure that you tick the "Remember Me' box when signing onto the forum, as that way your posts won't time out, and secondly, just as an extra precaution, COPY your posts before you hit the 'Reply' button

Nice one on the SPU! Which one did you get?

Marco.
    Sorry for the slow response, that thing called life has got in the way. You would think after being on here for 11yrs that i would know how to use it ha. Tips noted.

I went for a SPU #1E with a Phasemation SUT. I'm still evaluating it really although i do like it. I should be recieving the loading plugs today and i've sent Arthur an email about the Houdini as my curiosty got the better of me. Looks like i'll be getting the last one before official launch!

Are you still using your Houdini with the SC35C?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Lol - mate, dat's cool, glad to see you've got a life, that's the main thing!

That SPU should sound s-w-e-e-t...

Yup, still using the SC35C with a Houdini, and when my new Denon (finally) escapes the clutches of customs, I'll be fitting one to that, too!

Tell you something... It'll have to go some to usurp the Shure as it *really* is sounding FAB!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

I'd have to agree with you with regards the Shure. I'm way behind when it comes to assessment due to having an absolute sod of a time trying to suss out a ground loop hum. I'm still working on it but I have to say that my configuration of the SC35C would need a cart costing north of £1K to beat it. I just need a break with this ground loop hum to get the best out of it.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Lol - mate, dat's cool, glad to see you've got a life, that's the main thing!

That SPU should sound s-w-e-e-t...

Yup, still using the SC35C with a Houdini, and when my new Denon (finally) escapes the clutches of customs, I'll be fitting one to that, too!

Tell you something... It'll have to go some to usurp the Shure as it *really* is sounding FAB!

Marco.
    The SPU does sound sweet and was a bit of an impulse buy which i don't do very often at all.

I've recieved the loading plugs today and had a little play with them and atm i am settling on the green ones which add 150pF. Nice little upgrade! As you say tidys everthing up in a nice way.

I think i need to hear a Denon at some point in my life (and i'm sure i will). The Shure must be sounding very good with the little tweaks that have been done, especially the houdini! Can't wait to recieve mine and see what all the fuss is about
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Hi Darren,

Glad you're enjoying the SPU and SUT - any chance of some pics?

Yeah, the loading plugs are great, although I've settled on a slightly different value from you, which is fine as our systems are different. However, if you're using the 'Y' adaptors, fitted with short cables, try these splitters instead, with the loading plugs you've got:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Plat...72.m2749.l2649

I found that they notably improved matters sonically, especially as they remove the capacitance of the attached cables/wires [stated by the manufacturer as 70pF] and so allow you to utilise the actual electrical value of the resistors that the plugs are fitted with, without 'hearing' the effect of the partnering cables.

Trust me, I think you'll like it and probably arrive at using a different value

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast