+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 81 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Looking great, Jo! I still need to clean my amp - just haven't had time recently... Two years of dust on it, lol - It's shameful, I know!

I'll be doing it this week though, so will post a pic then...

Would love to see some close-up pics of your T/T, and particularly cartridge 'in the groove'... And also of the Lentek. Glad they're hitting the spot nicely!

I may be adding something special (vintage) to my 103 line up next week, so watch this space!

Marco.

P.S Your next big upgrade matey [and I'm serious about this] is a Houdini. Honestly, you'd love it... Have I ever been wrong with any of my reccos to you so far?
    I'm looking in to that, Marco.

You haven't been wrong yet, dude. Lol

Looks very interesting.

Here's some pics of the TT in action. Groovin' some Led Zep.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yep, I had a look last night, nowt much kickin' around. It's always really really cool just to see how far these old carts can be pushed and TBH with new headshells, leads, stylii they can go a long way and usually match or outperform today's offerings.
    Yeah, I totally agree - veritable hidden gems! Cartridges were 'voiced' differently then (more 'musically') and the good ones constructed with high-quality materials/components, simply not found now in anything at the price point, in today's money, which they were originally introduced at.

Plus, most would've partnered piss-poor T/Ts, or decent ones sub-optimally set-up, as we've learned so much more now about that, with crap cables (compared with those currently available), and through pretty dreadful phono stages. Therefore, the reality is that they were almost certainly never heard at their full potential, which today's more revealing equipment facilitates.

The other thing is that you can pretty much guarantee that anything used by the BBC, for broadcasting purposes, such as the SC35C, Goldring G800, Decca Deram, etc, when the BBC had extremely high standards, was of inherent good quality, otherwise it'd never have been chosen for its intended application.

So all we have to do now, in order to realise the potential of these vintage cartridges, is mimic (as closely as possible) the operational environment that they'd originally have been used in, such as in terms of direct or idler-driven turntables, high-mass arms, etc.

In that respect, now that I've got the SC35C 'singing' like never before, it's definitely up there with my favourite cartridges of all time - yes it's THAT good!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Jo, those pics look just pant-wettingly wonderful - I could sit and stare at them all day!!

Just 'PROPA', matey, in EVERY conceivable way, and makes the vast majority of T/Ts out there look like toys!

Defo try and get yourself a Houdini, as trust me, I know you're in seventh heaven now, but you'll move upstairs one if you fit one of those babies...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Josie.

Jo, those pics look just pant-wettingly wonderful - I could sit and stare at them all day!!

Just 'PROPA', matey, in EVERY conceivable way, and makes the vast majority of T/Ts out there look like toys!

Defo try and get yourself a Houdini, as trust me, I know you're in seventh heaven now, but you'll move upstairs one if you fit one of those babies...

Marco.
    Will do.. I'm looking in to a platter mat.

Thanks, yep... It's a serious beast. I can't lift it. It's too heavy. I had to get a friend to lift it in to place. Lol... Bonkers.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Will do.. I'm looking in to a platter mat.

Thanks, yep... It's a serious beast. I can't lift it. It's too heavy. I had to get a friend to lift it in to place. Lol... Bonkers.
    Yeah I can imagine... Proper engineering, though! Before you pull the trigger on a mat, I'm going to revisit the Achromat, to see if there exists some kind of synergy between it and the Houdini, and compare it against the Soundeck one I'm currently using, so will report back on that soon, hopefully before the end of the week

Marco.
    Main System

Just bagged a pair of NOS Shure styli on ebay, for the SC35C, as now that I've really nailed how to get the most from this cartridge I wanted to ensure that I had enough original 'needles' to see me through!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324275148808

These originals, used in conjunction with a proper 'Made in USA' Shure body are a totally different ball game, so defo worth having.

I may be adding another 'NOS little gem' to my T/T before the end of the week, so watch this space!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

That there is a girlie system.

You need 4 Lockwood's per side for a boy's one.

And eight per side for a gents.

Solid, realistic posts like this make this forum

Better having a 'girlie system' than driving a hairdresser's car!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Just bagged a pair of NOS Shure styli on ebay, for the SC35C, as now that I've really nailed how to get the most from this cartridge I wanted to ensure that had enough original 'needles' to see me through!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324275148808

These originals, used in conjunction with a proper 'Made in USA' Shure body are a totally different ball game, so defo worth having.

I may be adding another 'NOS little gem' to my T/T before the end of the week, so watch this space!

Marco.
    good find.. should see you out
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

sign:

Better having a 'girlie system' than driving a hairdresser's car!

Marco.
    Have you considered both our cars are named after girls?

German pussy cars, for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 81 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast