+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 81 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's a great choice as a back-up amp Marco (or as a main amplifier in many systems, as it's surprisingly capable).
    Cheers, Geoff. Indeed... I've read lots of positive views and reviews about it, and seems that it was built very well to start with and sounds remarkably good, outperforming many modern amps up to around a grand

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, Geoff. Indeed... I've read lots of positive views and reviews about it, and seems that it was built very well to start with and sounds remarkably good, outperforming many modern amps up to around a grand

Marco.
    The 'current dumping' design is a clever thing, using Class A primary amplification followed by Class B to do the donkey work. The sound has a lot in common with what typifies regular Class A SS amps, those I've heard at least. Funny thing is, I wouldn't say the same about the bigger Quads, pleasant as they can be.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

Didn't Ian have two Quad amps at some point?

Glad the SUT is working out to how you remembered it.

Coming from not owning one before, I find it a very nice difference.

Your term 'ballsy' regarding the comparison between the denon and the Lentek is spot on.

I like how the Lentek sounds. But I like the denon for its easy way of portraying detail.

The Lentek does sound more solid state, if that makes sense, but in a good way because it does sound good.

I concur regarding the amount of time the denon takes to set its pace. It doesn't take long and I find that a quick stylus brush with a carbon fibre brush sets it on its way a little quicker. I never thought that would make a difference. But, I've never used a transformer based SUT before.

I like the fact that no batteries are used too.

The denon AU-310 was introduced in 1976 and with it sounds every bit as good today playing Goa, Dance, Dub, Electro, Rock, Classical etc... That's something nice to find.

I presume this is down to the transformers being of a very high quality.

There is one thing I'd like to know regarding the Denon, though. Would it be beneficial bypassing the bypass switch on the front? I'd like to know if anyone here would be able to shed any light on that. I take it that the switch is in the signal path?

Some pics from the net.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 15-10-2020 at 09:21.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

The 'current dumping' design is a clever thing, using Class A primary amplification followed by Class B to do the donkey work. The sound has a lot in common with what typifies regular Class A SS amps, those I've heard at least. Funny thing is, I wouldn't say the same about the bigger Quads, pleasant as they can be.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I've read. I like the design principles, but unfortunately it seems like Quad have suffered the same problems as other manufacturers have, over the years, and that's the quality of the products suffering due to cost constraints, and new designs going in a different direction that may otherwise be desired in order to increase profits.

That's probably why, like many other manufacturers, Quad's original designs are best. I'm not sure Peter Walker, had he he still been with us, would've sanctioned some of the later stuff, so yes it does appear to be somewhat of a 'lottery' which type of 'Quad sound' you get depending on what you're buying and the decade it was produced, but I'm looking forward to test driving this 306, as the only previous Quad product I've owned was an FM3!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Some suggest Quad amplifiers have a 'family sound'. They don't. The 303, 405, 306 and 606 each have rather different ways of presenting music. The 606, 707, 909 and QSP etc., sound very similar to each other though. I wouldn't mind an early 909 (in black of course ) actually, it's a big softy with a laid back benign character, powerful though, but not as involving as the 306.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Didn't Ian have two Quad amps at some point?
    Yes it was a pair modded 405-2s. He's gone back to his roots now, however, with a full Naim system and Isobariks!

Glad the SUT is working out to how you remembered it.

Coming from not owning one before, I find it a very nice difference.

Your term 'ballsy' regarding the comparison between the denon and the Lentek is spot on.

I like how the Lentek sounds. But I like the denon for its easy way of portraying detail.

The Lentek does sound more solid state, if that makes sense, but in a good way because it does sound good.
    Yup, exactly, just a different 'take' on the music. It's the classic trade-off between transformers and transistors!

However, the reason that the AU-310 works so well is because the transformers were carefully chosen to optimally match the electrical and sonic characteristics of the DL-103 [crucial when choosing traffos to amplify the output of any MC cartridge], and so both items work synergistically as a PAIRING, not as separate entities, as often is the case with other MC cartridge/SUT combos when both are from different manufacturers.

Therefore, the former creates a 'musical rightness', which is exactly what you're hearing and why I wanted to revisit the AU-310 - and it's been fruitful!

And yes, it would be relatively easy for anyone competent with a soldering iron, and a little knowledge, to bypass the switch. It probably won't make a lot of difference, sonically (as it's been well-designed and executed, in the classic Japanese tradition), but worth doing, simply because we're purists

Therefore, I'll have that done to mine in due course, as well as fitting better phono plugs to the output cables, as things have defo moved on in that area since the 70s! That done, however, I'll leave it as it is, without altering any cables, as those are fine as they are.

So are you going to tackle the job yourself and see what improvements, if any, you get?

Marco.
    Main System

Some suggest Quad amplifiers have a 'family sound'. They don't. The 303, 405, 306 and 606 each have rather different ways of presenting music. The 606, 707, 909 and QSP etc., sound very similar to each other though. I wouldn't mind an early 909 (in black of course ) actually, it's a big softy with a laid back benign character, powerful though, but not as involving as the 306.
    Interesting, mate. The "big softy* thing wouldn't interest me though, as I'm not into that type of presentation. That's one of the reasons I opted for the 306, as it's known to be a punchy and dynamic performer. I don't do 'pipe & slippers'.

I suspect Quad amps may have all had a 'family sound' had PW still been around and responsible for the design and 'voicing' of the company's products, but I reckon that the varying sonic signatures/musical presentations of the different amps in the Quad range simply reflect the 'goals' of the company at the time, and the direction that was being taken by those who were in charge.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Quad I had(the vena2) was a nice amp and dac. good sound from it and not bad value
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes it was a pair modded 405-2s. He's gone back to his roots now, however, with a full Naim system and Isobariks!

Yup, exactly, just a different 'take' on the music. It's the classic trade-off between transformers and transistors!

However, the reason that the AU-310 works so well is because the transformers were carefully chosen to optimally match the electrical and sonic characteristics of the DL-103 [crucial when choosing traffos to amplify the output of any MC cartridge], and so both items work synergistically as a PAIRING, not as separate entities, as often is the case with other MC cartridge/SUT combos when both are from different manufacturers.

Therefore, the former creates a 'musical rightness', which is exactly what you're hearing and why I wanted to revisit the AU-310 - and it's been fruitful!

And yes, it would be relatively easy for anyone competent with a soldering iron, and a little knowledge, to bypass the switch. It probably won't make a lot of difference, sonically (as it's been well-designed and executed, in the classic Japanese tradition), but worth doing, simply because we're purists

Therefore, I'll have that done to mine in due course, as well as fitting better phono plugs to the output cables, as things have defo moved on in that area since the 70s! That done, however, I'll leave it as it is, without altering any cables, as those are fine as they are.

So are you going to tackle the job yourself and see what improvements, if any, you get?

Marco.
    Cool... To be honest I think someone with the knowhow would be best to do it. Maybe Alan (Firebottle)?

I'm just enjoying it as it is at the moment, it has a stonking sound.

Yeah, maybe the switch won't make a jot of difference but I don't think I'd ever need to use the bypass, so it might has well be disconnected. lol
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Alan.

I had the AU-320 SUT with two ratios, another excellent performer. On close inspection I came to the conclusion that the switches were of excellent quality with no need to remove or replace.

With dexterity the switch in the 310 could be dismantled and the all the contacts cleaned, but it is fiddly.
    I could wire it out of circuit if chosen to Josie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 81 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast