Good post, Gaz - shows how you've learned from your experiences and used that info to your benefit (and that of your system). I also think it's no 'happy accident' that you've got into CD again after getting a decent transport, which for me is the key to really enjoying what CD has to offer, and a properly designed dedicated transport makes a big difference

It's not just about the DAC, and 'any old transport' will do, off of a DVD player or whatever. For me, that's bollox and simply doesn't tally with my experience.

Unlike you, I've never 'fallen out of love' with CDs, despite embracing streaming (although not to anywhere near as high a standard as you), and of course have never stopped enjoying vinyl, and that's because I've been using the same (top notch) Sony CDP and DAC for the last 11 years, which really shows what the format can do.

So continue enjoying those sliver discs mate, along with everything else. You've got a nicely assembled system going on now, by paying close attention to the details and making properly informed choices, and long may that continue!

Marco.