+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 81 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up NOS Denon DL-103GL and AU-310 SUT now winging its way to Marco Towers!

Ok, I mentioned earlier that I was hopeful of imminently landing some vintage gems, and the deed has been done! These lovely things will be winging their way from Japan to chez moi...

NOS Denon DL-103GL (Gold Limited) - introduced in 1990, in a very limited run of 2000 pieces. It is, IMO, one of the finest 103s ever made, alongside the 'M' and 'SA', the latter which the GL is near-identical to:

And a lovely mint example of a 1976-vintage Denon AU-310 SUT:

$1300 for both, shipped (insured and trackable) to the UK!

It's been a while since I played around with SUTs, as I've mainly been using MC head amps, such as the Paul Hynes and Lentek. However, I wanted to revisit using this little device, as it's something I first encountered in 1982, when I bought my first DL-103, and used it with that to great effect!

The sound I remember from then was so warm and musical (but not in a euphonically coloured way), rather richly toned and lifelike, with an addictive rhythmic alacrity to the bass, so I wanted to try and recreate that, used in conjunction not just with the GL, but also my NOS, stock (Nippon Columbia-vintage) DL-103.

The GL is something I've *always* wanted, but genuine NOS ones rarely come up for sale. One of my biggest regrets (and fortunately I haven't had too many in audio) was selling my DL-103SA and buying an SPU, not because I didn't enjoy the SPU, but because I should've kept the SA!

Quite simply, it was one of the best cartridges I'd ever heard, fundamentally addressing the shortfalls of the stock 103 (introducing carbon-fibre reinforced resin casing, wound with 4N gold coils), and the music it made was simply magical!

So... Now I have the GL, which is built near-identically, and am really looking forward to hearing what it does, in conjunction with the AU-310, and also the Lentek!

Happy days

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Nice one Marco ! Look forward to how it all develops
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Cheers, mate. It'll be fun playing with some new toys again, and these ones have been on my radar for years!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Marco,

I've tried the following 6SL7's in the left and right output channels.

1. RCA 5691 (Red Base) 9.75/10
    2. Bendix 5691 (Red Base) 9.75/10
    3. Tung Sol 6S7GT (Black Bottle) 9.6/10
    4. Tung Sol 6SL7GT (Orange base) 9.5/10
    5. Mullard 6SL7GT (Black base) 9.25/10
    6. Ken Rad 6SL7GT (Black Base) VT229 9.25/10
    7. Tung Sol 6SL7GT VT229 (Black bottle) 9.1/10
    8. General Electric GSL7GT (Black base 1970's) 8.75 / 10
    9. Slyvania 6SL7GT black base 7/10
    10. Brimar 6SL7GT (black base) 6.25/10
    11. Reflektor black base 70's version 5/10

I honestly get fed up trying different types and at the time I think I'd gone through all variants. I'm now sure more (OLD) variants exist.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Hi Andy,

That's cool, but which ones didn't work until Alan modified you amp to accommodate their electrical parameters? That's what is flummoxing me...

I'm presuming none of the above, as all would work fine in my Croft, without any adjustments needed!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

They all worked but the Croft needed some optimising which is what Alan performed, as detailed in the earlier posts. I just wanted to make sure that the 6591 worked optimally. The Croft was out of spec and he remedied this.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Ah ok, so it was more a case of at the time there being something wrong with the Croft, rather than a fully functioning one needing modded to take 5691s?

If so, that's fine, as otherwise the Croft should happily take 5691s without the need for any adjustments, as indeed mine does

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

It was the 5691 Marco, these have 600mA heaters, just looked them up again.

Does your Croft have the 5 valve line up. If so I imagine with 5691's in they would not be operating optimally.

Yes it has five 6SL7s, and an ECC83/12AX7 and 85A2 in the PSU section.. What I can categorically tell you is that the 5691s I've used have been in there for YEARS, and so if they weren't operating optimally I'd have known by now!

I certainly have not experienced the issues you described earlier with Andy's amp:

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle
    Andy fitted alternative valves with a 600mA heater rating and discovered that he needed to fit 3 valves to make the line section only work, because of the shared heater circuit with part of the phono section.

The other line valve was underdriven because the resistor value was too high a value for the 600mA rating, causing this channel to be low on gain and distorted.
    That has simply never happened. Any 5691 valve I've used has sounded excellent and not behaved badly, in any way, in my amp. I suspect that Andy's Epoch has some design differences compared with my Charisma-X - remember that although both are Crofts, they are different models

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

I imagine that is very true Marco. Could be that the Charisma uses 6V heater supplies, so individually wired.

If all the heaters are the same colour/temperature then no problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 81 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast