+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

Some pics of my main system, which I haven't posted any of in a long time. Not the best light conditions unfortunately today, in what is a darkish room normally anyway. I haven't been using this system for nearly two years (mainly due to just being involved with other things), but have recently kicked it into life, so thought I post a few pics!

Ok, first up....

Heavily modified Croft Charisma-X preamp (lid off, as it's always being tweaked):

Paul Hynes MC head amp is above, all on Mana Acoustics supports.

Some rare NOS 6SL7/VT229 valves, including at the forefront, 1940s military-spec black base RCAs, as used in my phono stage, in professionally tested, closely-matched pairs:

Mad, hardwired and dedicated, 'Marco Mains' in individual junction boxes (fed from the CU with 16mm armoured cable, outputting massively over-specced heavy-duty mains leads), plus unfused Schukos, with Tube Distinctions noise filter for digital components in the foreground, and MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads fitted with Furutech FI-1363 rhodium plugs:

Vintage Sony DAS-R1 DAC, Sony's flagship model from 1987), using the fabled double-crown TDA 1541 multibit chips, heavily modified by Audiocom International, and weighing in at 30kg:

No other DAC I've heard to date does digital *so right*, and possesses its bass authority or highly addictive 'analog' sound...

Koss PRO-4AA headphones (an updated version of the original classics), which sound fab, but weigh a bloody ton! As used by Radio 1 DJs during the 1970s:

And my heavily modified Technics SL-1210MK5G - mods and partnering components listed as follows:

Mike New ETP platter and high-precision bearing/base plate, plus Paul Hynes internal regulator modules. Yannis Tome Gaia 423.5 Phono-Litz tonearm cables, Nagaoka GL-602 glass mat, Bruil record weight, Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/Magna Audio custom-made ebony armboard. Arm currently fitted with a NOS (ex-BBC stock) Shure SC35C broadcast cartridge, produced in Evanston USA (not the inferior 'made in Mexico' version) fitted with an original NOS Shure Dynetic Stylus (imported from the US), installed in a high-mass Audio-Technica AT TI-15 50th Anniversary solid-titanium headshell, fitted with Quad Hybrid leadwire and a Mpingo wood cartridge isolator. The T/T has Isonoe feet with Technoboots, and is supported on a Hi-Fi Racks wall shelf:

You can see how clean I keep my records, baring in mind that's a 12" single of '19', by Paul Hardcastle, I've had since it was bought new in 1985!

Close up of arm and cartridge (I have many others, including a DL-103, but this one is a hoot to listen to with 'radio friendly' pop music, which is underpinned with rock-solid weight and authority, coupled with consummate assuredness, detail and clarity, tracking at 4.5g, and also stupidly good for the money with all other types of music:

And its massively over-engineered, and extremely effective Paul Hynes SR7-EHD power supply (with DC7FS annealed fine-silver DC lead):

Under the hood:

Lockwood Major speakers, circa 1967, as used in various recording studios of the day, fitted with Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds:

A Locky with its 'dress off', along with some of my physical music collection:

All sounding superb, having been 'woken up' after 2 years of non-use... And after hearing it again, I intend to start using it more!

I'll post pics of my copper valve amp, once I've cleaned all the dust off it, lol!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Nice one Marco, some quality kit there.

I remember your copper amp and its a beaut.

Good to see you back on things hifi ....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Cheers, mate, and I'm loving it... It was just a matter of getting my head 'back in the zone'!

Are you using an SP10 now? Thought I seen summat about that...

The copper amp is arguably my favourite component and something I would never, ever sell, unless back again to Anthony!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robin.

Very impressive Marco, with a decent amount of music to play with and I noted the Audio Origami sticker on the turntable.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

Cheers, mate. Only as a nod to Johnny, as he and I go back a long way. He's a top bloke and someone who fundamentally understands turntables inside out!

I believe he's working in Loud & Clear now? I also know Alan Boyd, the owner there, quite well. It's a proper hi-fi shop, run by knowledgeable and professional staff

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Darren.

About bloody time, it's been nearly 3 years, we started ripping your Kitchen out November 2017!!

Glad you're firing it up again, I'll have to pop round for a sesh, it might light a fire under my arse.

Hope you're both good.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, mate. Only as a nod to Johnny, as he and I go back a long way. He's a top bloke and someone who fundamentally understands turntables inside out!

I believe he's working in Loud & Clear now? I also know Alan Boyd, the owner there, quite well. It's a proper hi-fi shop, run by knowledgeable and professional staff

Marco.
    I first met Johnny in the mid 80’s when he had his own hi fi store, I bought some stuff from him when I came back to Scotland, these days he mainly works from home, which is interesting if you ever visit, plus he does all the turntable set ups for loud and clear.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Martin.

Good to see you've still got it. I heard you sold it all and bought a boat
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Good to see you've still got it. I heard you sold it all and bought a boat
    There's a Seaman pun there somewhere, but I'm too distracted eating my dinner to find it.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Lloyd.

Looks great .... not quite finished my Berkeleys yet but already the GAS is tugging at me with your Lockwoods .... hoping one day when CV19 is behind us i might get an invite to visit and hear as well as see your gear in action ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast