+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I know lol, there's certainly enough room in there for one!

I think it was essentially a clever design that just needed some further refinement... The Koss are being shipped today from Bulgaria, so shouldn't be long until they arrive - full review to follow

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

The Celestion 15s have arrived, and after giving them a good clean inside under the grilles, removing years of dust and yellowy nicotine (yuk - this type of exercise always reminds me of just how filthy a habit smoking is), and quick polish of the exterior wood, which is in remarkably good condition, I fired them up....

All I can say is

These sound quite different to the XRs, and not in any way inferior, that's for sure... Just laughably good for the £89.00 I paid!!

[A lot] more later!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

In the meantime, some pics...

Spot one of the Yamaha subs on the floor! Just showing how nice condition the wood is in:

And a few shots of the gear making up the downstairs system, with the Sony amp, Virgin V6 box,Beresford DAC, also the Paul Hynes PSU, for the RPi:

The other Ditton 15XR performing duties as a centre speaker (as part of the home-cinema system):

Very pleased with these Ditton 15s!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

They look pretty tidy. Andre's favourite Celestion IIRC
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Digging the 'Old Charm' cabinet.

I'm Andrew.

I really must dig out my 15's and give them a spin sometime.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They look pretty tidy. Andre's favourite Celestion IIRC
    I think his favs were the 33s and these, one of which I used to use as a centre speaker (forget the model number):

But as far as the 15s go, yes he preferred the originals

These just sound lovely mate, stupidly good for £89... You'd need to put a zero on the end of that and head well up towards £1k to get the sort of sound these Ditton 15s are producing, for smallish stand-mount speakers.

Yup, they're superior to the XRs (even modified/upgraded as mine were) - simply because they use better quality drivers. The top end in particular of the HF1300 ultimately has more texture and clarity than the soft-dome units on the XRs, and even though the measured frequency response rolls off as it does, 'dull' they ain't!

There's a lovely 'crisp and sparkly' openness to their treble response, and the midrange is fabulous, making vocals sound rich and sonorous, but also unfailingly believable and lifelike. Bass hits harder and deeper too, than it does with the XRs, and it's also more rhythmic and tuneful with it.

The only thing I would say is I can still detect the telltale 'signature' of electrolytic caps, which imbue the presence region with a touch of hardness and a slight 'nasal' quality, which I know would disappear by fitting some quality polypropylene ones, such as I did to the XRs, but it's nothing major.

Dunno if the crossovers in these are the same, but once I get more used to their sound I'll investigate that area, and possibly also replace the speaker terminals with something better, as things have moved on rather drastically in that area!

I'm only getting away with using the rather flimsy stock ones, as I use Chord Sarsen speaker cable in this set-up, which is very thin (but good quality): https://www.hifix.co.uk/chord-sarsen...able-per-metre

Anyway, off for another listen - I may be some time!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Digging the 'Old Charm' cabinet.
    Well spotted, Roy-boy! You like that stuff? It's very sturdily made (solid oak), and the traditional style suits the room. We have a fair bit of it

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I really must dig out my 15's and give them a spin sometime.
    Yeah defo, Andy. You've got XRs though, haven't you? They're good, but the originals are better, IMO (as I've outlined). TBH, very rarely have I heard speakers get better with more modern incarnations of the same, as cost-cutting inevitably enters the equation (where at one time they just built stuff using the best of what they had available, regardless), and quality suffers accordingly.

The original Ditton 15s (these ones I'm using from the 60s) are from Celestion's 'golden era'... Here's an interesting link to read, outlining the history of the company: https://www.bygonetones.com/the-hist...celestion.html

Sadly, most of these great British loudspeaker companies have long gone, or are simply trading under the brand name, but are now a shadow of their former selves., often now Chinese owned. I think the only ones left are Spendor and Harbeth, still doing things in the time-honoured tradition.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well spotted, Roy-boy! You like that stuff? It's very sturdily made (solid oak), and the traditional style suits the room. We have a fair bit of it

Marco.
    Yes, my telly & av gubbins sits on/in one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast