+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah sure, and I have, but the DIN sounds better (at the same volume position), possibly because, as Pavel says, the output configuration is different. I also consider that DIN plugs and sockets are superior to phonos, so that could also be a factor, even though it's only happening at the source end

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Pavel has it!

From the manual: "The AMPLIFIER/RADIO socket [which is what's marked above the DIN socket] is more sensitive than the PHONO sockets, and can therefore be used for amplifiers or radios with low-level signals."

And you can clearly hear the difference, as described!

Marco.
    Fair enough. Both of my Naks have dual DIN and RCA connections, but I think the sensitivity is the same for either, both record and replay.
    Barry

Yeah, the difference isn't massive, Barry, as one would expect. The improvement using the DIN connection is fairly subtle, but definitely noticeable

Does anyone have any mics using cables with DIN connectors they want to get rid of? The Tandberg has two mic inputs... I have a fun idea I'd like to try!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Josie.

I dug out some Philips ECG 6188 valves just now. I must admit, I'm really enjoying them.

I've had them for donkeys and never thought to use them as I've had Sylvanias in since I bought the Preamp. I do remember them costing me something like £50 for a matched pair back in 2009 or something.

Nice space, detail, great bass, not over blown. Maybe a little forward lean but nothing intrusive.

Recommended.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

What are ECG 6188 valves, Jo? Never heard of them! Where do they go in your Croft? There are no such valves in mine

Marco.
    Main System

Just a small update... The Tandberg is currently at the home of an ex-Tandberg engineer, and getting a full service, possibly including new heads fitted. The chap in question used to work at the Tandberg headquarters in Oslo, and bought up all the spare parts when the company went bust in 1983...

He assures me that the deck will be returned to performing to 'A1' standard, plus he's biasing the deck to optimise my favourite NOS tapes

So can't wait for that!

Marco.
    Main System

I've just received the engineer's report for the Tandberg (seems that the heads might be ok after all, but not yet confirmed):

Should be money well spent!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

pretty reasonable price for all that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Yeah, that's what I thought, and at least I know when it comes back it'll bee tip-top!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I bet he can disassemble and assemble one blindfold. Does he do all Tandberg repairs or is it just the tape decks?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast