+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... Which speakers are you referring to, the monster Lockwoods or the small, but perfectly formed Ditton 15s?

Ok, in terms of cartridges, yes I think that *in some areas* an MP200 would outperform the Shure. However, in the areas you mention, 60s rock and stuff, defo not. That's where the Shure excels!

As I said, if you're interested in trying one with a NOS stylus, pop me a PM

Marco.
    Yep defo interested, the Lockwoods look amazing.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Now, at long last, released from its captivity in customs....!!

Ok folks, remember this from WAY back on 2nd September...? I'd nearly forgotten what it looked like!

Ok, I mentioned earlier that I was hopeful of imminently landing some vintage gems, and the deed has been done! These lovely things will be winging their way from Japan to chez moi...

NOS Denon DL-103GL (Gold Limited) - introduced in 1990, in a very limited run of 2000 pieces. It is, IMO, one of the finest 103s ever made, alongside the 'M' and 'SA', the latter which the GL is near-identical to:

And a lovely mint example of a 1976-vintage Denon AU-310 SUT:

$1300 for both, shipped (insured and trackable) to the UK!

It's been a while since I played around with SUTs, as I've mainly been using MC head amps, such as the Paul Hynes and Lentek. However, I wanted to revisit using this little device, as it's something I first encountered in 1982, when I bought my first DL-103, and used it with that to great effect!

The sound I remember from then was so warm and musical (but not in a euphonically coloured way), rather richly toned and lifelike, with an addictive rhythmic alacrity to the bass, so I wanted to try and recreate that, used in conjunction not just with the GL, but also my NOS, stock (Nippon Columbia-vintage) DL-103.

The GL is something I've *always* wanted, but genuine NOS ones rarely come up for sale. One of my biggest regrets (and fortunately I haven't had too many in audio) was selling my DL-103SA and buying an SPU, not because I didn't enjoy the SPU, but because I should've kept the SA!

Quite simply, it was one of the best cartridges I'd ever heard, fundamentally addressing the shortfalls of the stock 103 (introducing carbon-fibre reinforced resin casing, wound with 4N gold coils), and the music it made was simply magical!

So... Now I have the GL, which is built near-identically, and am really looking forward to hearing what it does, in conjunction with the AU-310, and also the Lentek!

Happy days

Marco.
    Well, after a VERY long wait [don't ask] - bearing in mind that the freakin' thing landed in the UK on 15th September!! It's finally sitting in my local sorting office

So... Once I pay the charges due tomorrow (£230-odd BOO-HOO, but worth it), I should have both items delivered on Wednesday! Full report and review on this combo to follow!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Certainly sounding mighty fine in this YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgo0...tSHo&index=410

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Well, the charges have been paid and the delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, so I can barely contain my excitement!

Meanwhile, here are some loving close-ups of my vintage Koss headphones....

And the equally superb sounding 'Lehmann' Chinese-made valve headphone amp, both of which compliment each other really well:

You can see the similarities: https://www.lehmannaudio.com/headphone-amplifiers.html

Main difference though is the respective price tags!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Josie.

Well, the charges have been paid and the delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, so I can barely contain my excitement!

Marco.
    Great news... wow, that's an expensive import charge.

I think you will be really surprised with the quality of the AU-310. I'm loving it with the DL103-C1

It's a different flavour to the Lentek. It has a smoother presentation. Slightly more focussed too.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

£229.31, matey, to be precise, but hey how much would a cartridge cost today that would compete with or outperform the GL...£3k? I kid you not. Imagine getting another 20% of musical goodness from your C1 - that's what we're talking about!

It's all in the gold coils....

So, it was still well worth it, although I'm not happy with how I was pissed about by customs, freaking ridiculous, and will be making a complaint in due course!

Yes, it'll be interesting comparing the SUT with the Lentek, and also my £1500 Paul Hynes head amp and PSU

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Josie.

£229.31, matey, but hey, how much would a cartridge cost today that would compete with or outperform the GL...£3k? I kid you not. Imagine getting another 20% of musical goodness from your C1 - that's what we're talking about!

It's all in the gold coils....

So, it was still well worth it, although I'm not happy with how I was pissed about by customs, freaking ridiculous, and will be making a complaint in due course!

Yes, it'll be interesting comparing the SUT with the Lentek, and also my £1500 Paul Hynes head amp and PSU

Marco.
    Cool.

Maybe one day I'll get the SA or maybe even the GL. At the moment, I'm more than happy with the C1.

One of the best sound carts I've heard.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Mike.

Just saw the listing on ebay mate, if it's the same place you got yours i can't believe they charge delivery as well

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Cool.

Maybe one day I'll get the SA or maybe even the GL. At the moment, I'm more than happy with the C1.

One of the best sound carts I've heard.
    Oh yeah, defo... The C1 is excellent. The GL or SA just things that bit further

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Just saw the listing on ebay mate, if it's the same place you got yours i can't believe they charge delivery as well
    Which item and seller are you referring to, mate?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast