+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sonos system

I'm Nuno.

Default Sonos system

I have a few months back a Spotify subscrition. In my main room I have a streamer connected to my Rega DAC and is ok. But I´m starting to think add another system in another room, so I´m planning to buy two Sonos One speakers and use it as a pair.Like Spotify is 320 k I guess the Sonos is just fine. What do you think, should I make a Sonos system or the quality is not so good ?
    https://www.sonos.com/en/home

I'm Clive.

I have a Sonos1 in my kitchen which She Who Must Be Obeyed uses when she is working her magic for our meals. HiFi it most certainly isn’t.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Mark.

Sonos devices are very good at what they do.
    I have 2 Play:1 units in the house. Great for casual listening when you’re doing stuff or just lazing about.
    Alexa integration gives voice control which is nice.
    Integration with Spotify, Amazon Music, Audible audio books, internet radio and local streaming from my server are all spot on.
    I have no issues with the “quality” of the sound.
    If you don’t get on with them they hold onto 2nd hand value well.

I'm Matt.

Sonos is excellent for what it is. A decent, very reliable, user friendly wireless system with the best control app going.
    It ain’t high-brow Hifi but then if you’re only going to be using Spotify, there’s no point in spending more for a system which is more capable.
    Sonos used to sell a “Play 3” model, but for similar money, a stereo pair of Play ones ( Sonos one SL is the current equivalent) sounds better.
    You can expand it over time, such as adding a sub to the system, or extra speakers in other rooms.
    Take it for what it is, there’s nothing better for the same money, but as others have said, if you want it to compete with a traditional Hifi stereo sound, you may be asking too much.

I'm Nuno.

Well, I´ve bought the Sonos Play 1 for half the price in a promotion. The sound is great, I use it with Spotify, so totally satisfied, but I was unable to connect it to my NAS to stream my audio files. Anyone could help me?

I'm Mark.

From memory I think the Sonos app prefers to connect to Windows file shares.
    Check if your NAS has SMB sharing enabled.

I'm Phil.

i use a sonos into a highly modded jolida dac, it REALLY lifts the sound of spotify HUGELY . in fact any dac can lift its sound

another friend i listen to his system too , he does the same and quality is brilliant [ in a fairly good system with midrange components]
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread