+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting Technics bearing component

I'm Stephen.

Default Interesting Technics bearing component

I'm just stripping out an old SL1210 for a full refurb. This is the original bearing with signs of heavy wear on the thrust pad. I've not seen the black plastic collar surrounding the bearing before. I'm guessing it's an old style.
    Any ideas what it's for and weather it's worth putting it on the new OEM bearing I've got along with the KAB thrust plate?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Kevin.

Isn’t that just a well worn thrust plate?

Like the bottom picture here - https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Stephen.

Yes the thrust plate is worn - it's just that I'd not come across the black plastic ribbed collar on the bearing shaft before. All the ones I've seen including my new OEM one have a naked shaft sans black plastic bit. It's also just occurred to me that this won't fit into the new KAB thrust plate I've ordered as it contains a deep Teflon support well for the bearing just above the thrust pad

Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

I think the ribbed black plastic item may be a gear cog for auto-return mechanisms, I'm not aware that any variants of the SL-1200/1210 came with such a feature. It could be that the bearing is a common part shared with other models that did have auto arm return.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think the ribbed black plastic item may be a gear cog for auto-return mechanisms, I'm not aware that any variants of the SL-1200/1210 came with such a feature. It could be that the bearing is a common part shared with other models that did have auto arm return.
    Interesting thought Geoff. It's splined so would definitely mate with another cog.
    I'm now after an original arm unit for the 1210. I'm definitely keeping the 774 arm on the TD150
    I've decided with this one I'm going to just do simple "low cost" upgrades but essentially keep the deck as standard. I've ordered a toroidal upgrade PSU to replace the original transformer rather than going down the external PSU route. KAB bearing and jack plate. If I can find a good example of a complete Technics arm I'll get a KAB fluid damper and a J7 rewire
    I'm also getting the top plate refurbished to look stock.

Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

I'm fairly sure I've seen such a bearing on auto-return Techies in the dim and distant past. If it's redundant, the cog should be removable, not sure if you'd need a spacing bush to take its place though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

I've got a brand new OEM bearing I'm going to fit when the KAB thrust plate arrives so this one is surplus to requirements

Always a little further

I'm Kevin.

As stated on the KAB page, the cog was on the early standard bearings.
    I did not click on the link for the first picture, so missed the important information...
    Kevin

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    As stated on the KAB page, the cog was on the early standard bearings.
    I did not click on the link for the first picture, so missed the important information...
    Ah ha! Thanks for that

Always a little further

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Ah ha! Thanks for that

Taken from the thrust plate page:

NOTE: There are 3 styles of early spindles that have a plastic gear on the bottom. .
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread