+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing binding posts

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    In similar situations I've used these they work a treat as long as the banana plugs aren't pulled on by the cable.

Look at this on eBay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293215812232

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    They look interesting, but I don't think that they will fit in the connectors on the Devons
    Spendorman

I'm Horacio.

Anthony et al, I think that we are at cross-purposes and you are wrong. I have not found an answer that says how to remove the spring loaded terminals from the plate in-situ. Removing the drivers was a no-no option from the beginning. The only person who removed them was Spendorman he does not remember how he did it. I could have gotten a drill or a pair of pliers and do it, but is was not the point.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Did you read my post, Horatio? What exactly in your opinion is wrong with the binding posts already on the speakers, and what do you intend on replacing them with?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Horacio.

Hi Marco, I just want to replace the speakers posts because I want to use a lower gauge cable, not exotic or expensive, just 14 or 12 gauge wire, I have a box full of them. The Devons' posts accept 18 or higher gauge. It would be perfect for a very short run, for example with monoblocks sitting next to each speaker, but that is not my case.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    They look interesting, but I don't think that they will fit in the connectors on the Devons
    If the screw in the binding post is less than 5mm then you fit it like a spade, if it's higher then you should be able to use one of the prongs in the hole for the cable.

I'm Horacio.

There are no screws in the binding posts, they are spring-loaded, the whole is for 18ga or larger. I simply want to replace them, I have several superb WBT and Vampire posts at home.

I'm Geoff.

You can't remove the terminal posts from outside the cabinets.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Ok I would have thought if the springs are strong enough to hold a cable they could hold a spade but I've not actually seen them so I could be completely wrong.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    "+1, however, as helpful and as thorough as you wish your advice to be, you should also keep it as short and to the point as possible, and not too technical (unless you know that the person receiving the advice genuinely understands the technicalities), as the attention span of most people these days isn't what it once was!"

Much of my effort is to be precise and to explain in readily understandable terms a procedure, and to not go into technicalities with which many may not be familiar, that is, or at least used to be, what technical writers did, especially when writing instructions. To do anything requires an implicit ability to concentrate, and if that is beyond people then that will limit achievement. I do not think that anything I wrote was in any way verbose or even technical.

"Therefore, if they have to trawl through reams of text (no matter how well-written or presented), in order to glean the information they want, they're going to get bored. For example, I always switch off when I see graphs, as I rarely understand what exactly they're supposed to illustrate..."

I do not think that I have been verbose, please precis what I have written if you think it so. I think in fact I been concise, with no superfluity. I also switch off when I read endless reams of poorly written descriptions or accounts, particularly when they are inarticulately written, excessively long, and lacking in any substantive content. This also often occurs in telephone conversations with large corporations.

"Sorry, that's just how it is, especially as the vast majority of people will be accessing the site via a smartphone, and so why shorter, but arguably less erudite responses will often be acknowledged instead, simply because they take less time to read and are quicker to respond to!"

How much shorter could my response have been to precisely state my advice?

"'Tis the nature of the beast, unfortunately, but don't let that deter you from offering advice - just try and keep it as concise and easy to digest as possible!"

Marco.
    Please illustrate my lack of concision.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Please illustrate my lack of concision.
    Sorry, not you personally, but 'one'. I was making a general point for the consumption of everyone

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast