+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing binding posts

I'm Horacio.

Default Replacing binding posts

Hello Chaps,

I would like to replace my Devons binding posts. I would not dare to try to remove the plastic case, it will break.

Did anyone ever remove the posts from his speakers?

Cheers,

Horacio
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Gordon.

I'm not familiar with the Devons, but first question would be how to gain access to the inside of the cabinet? (more photos could be useful?).

Possibly by removal of the bass driver? Thus providing access to the fastenings securing the binding post housing in place. If this is the case you should be able to withdraw the binding post unit sufficiently to disconnect the inner cables and devise a method to replace the binding posts - or the complete unit.

Good luck.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Devons, but first question would be how to gain access to the inside of the cabinet? (more photos could be useful?).

Possibly by removal of the bass driver? Thus providing access to the fastenings securing the binding post housing in place. If this is the case you should be able to withdraw the binding post unit sufficiently to disconnect the inner cables and devise a method to replace the binding posts - or the complete unit.

Good luck.
    That's more or less it.

Lay the speaker on its back, undo the mounting bolts and remove the driver (sometimes they need a bit of prizing free), very carefully pull out the four pin plug and put the driver in a safe place. Unscrew the terminal plate (you may need to pull foam aside) and it should come free. Sometimes there may be mastic material holding it, then take care, but it should still prize loose. Then you can unsolder the wires, undo the old terminals and fit modern ones. Avoid tall ones and those with plastic tops, as they get broken.

I used this sort last time: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Plat...AAAOSwjatd8J~a
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

I did my Devon binding post years ago, as above, but I don't remember having to take out the terminal plate, but I could be wrong.

At the time I used Maplin binding posts, not too unlike the ones Geoff suggests.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

You can do it with the terminal plate is situ, but I found it easier to take it out. Saves all that poking about inside with a soldering iron.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Thinking back, my plates were stuck in very well and would not come out easily.
    Spendorman

I'm Horacio.

Yes, the plates are stuck in well, I do not want to touch the driver, I noticed that the posts have two slots on each side.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Horacio,
    You asked for advice, and you have been given good advice by those who have already completed the job!
    Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    Yes, the plates are stuck in well, I do not want to touch the driver, I noticed that the posts have two slots on each side.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Hi Horacio,
    You asked for advice, and you have been given good advice by those who have already completed the job!
    Ha ha...... I find it curiously amusing that people ask for advice and subsequently receive a whole host of suggestions, but then reject the advice for whatever reason ???

Seems to happen quite a lot in the hi-fi fraternity....
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Dennis.

That is true, just look at my response to the request for help with the Thorens belt and pulley speed change problem.

I gave a thorough analysis of the problem from a designer's point of view, writing an analysis in clear and explicit detail with a correct solution, using very clear English, (I used to write technical reports for the Scientific Instrument Research Association), and it seems to have been ignored, but another ready and simple answer thanked for. Why do I bother?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast