+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cart for Jelco 750D/1210GR

I'm Mike.

Default Cart for Jelco 750D/1210GR

Well, my Nag has gone caput, so have to order a new one, picking up a 1210GR tomorrow, gonna fit my 750D to it, have an old Denon 110 I can use in the meantime. So apart from the Nag, which may go on another TT anyway, I'm looking for a MM cart for this Technics TT. Dynamic compliance, effective mass etc is something I've never paid that much attention to, as manufacturers always give very wide ranges for suitable carts with tonearms. But trying to get it right, or at least better this time. So suitable MM cart under £300. Was thinking 1042, but need something heavier apparently, but I;m not sure! If more weight is needed, can't one just add a washer or something, or is that not how it works? Looking forward to getting a 1210 again, I like the idea at least of the GR, no need to upgrade, as Technics have already done it, and at £750, that would probably be what a 1210 of old would cost about now. The idea of a separate power supply box is a big no no for me, as is fiddling around with bearings, and all that bollocks, when the original one's are just fine.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Got the GR, its lighter than the old 1200, whose utilitarian looks I think I prefer, though the platter is heavier, and very professionally finished with the damping underneath. The top part of the plinth looks a bit plastic compared to the old 1200,but apparently its aluminium. Luckily the chap I got it off from PFM also had a Jelco arm - the 850, and left the arm board in for me, so all I gotta do now is attach my 750, and add the Denon 110 I had lying around.

IMG_20200821_150622025 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]
    IMG_20200821_150641682 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Thanks Adrian, but my listening room cannot seem to handle extremes of any kind, and I prefer lean bass to full on bass, I'd give the 2500 a try though , as its MM, and hence styli can be replaced.

I'm Adrian.

Mike, the 2500 and 2300 are from the same cartridge development line and are MI (moving iron) if you look at their site you will see that you can replace the stylus just the same as a mm cartridge.

I doubt that the 2300 has exaggerated bass, you have to remember the reviews system as a whole may be the cause for that.

Read this review from a guy who has had all the cartridges you are talking about and moved to a 2300.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=28829

By the way I am confused I thought you felt your AI 500 with AN Js was bass light anyway?

Anyway as a I said the 2500 is an excellent cartridge and I bet the 2300 is a very close sound to it as it from the same design/build paradigm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Mike.

Mike, the 2500 and 2300 are from the same cartridge development line and are MI (moving iron) if you look at their site you will see that you can replace the stylus just the same as a mm cartridge.

I doubt that the 2300 has exaggerated bass, you have to remember the reviews system as a whole may be the cause for that.

Read this review from a guy who has had all the cartridges you are talking about and moved to a 2300.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=28829

By the way I am confused I thought you felt your AI 500 with AN Js was bass light anyway?

Anyway as a I said the 2500 is an excellent cartridge and I bet the 2300 is a very close sound to it as it from the same design/build paradigm.

Hi Adrian, the AN Js are fine bass ways, quite nice tuneful liquid bass, it was the Ks where the bass was lacking, for me anyway. I'll give the Goldrings a look, have to check compliance etc. I see Richer sounds have the 1042 at £279.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Hi Adrian, the AN Js are fine bass ways, quite nice tuneful liquid bass, it was the Ks where the bass was lacking, for me anyway. I'll give the Goldrings a look, have to check compliance etc. I see Richer sounds have the 1042 at £279.
    Yes but the 2000 series are considered better than the 1000 series from Goldring and the 2300 is available at just under £300

I'm Mike.

Yes but the 2000 series are considered better than the 1000 series from Goldring and the 2300 is available at just under £300

Thanks, might give it a shot. Here's the TT set up, which was a doddle as it came with Jelco armboard. The controls are 'slightly' less clunky than the Garrard 401!

IMG_20200821_213222516 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

IMG_20200821_213148483 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

+ Reply to Thread