+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rega Neo Fault - Anyone Had Similar Problems?

Default Rega Neo Fault - Anyone Had Similar Problems?

Hi Chaps,

Just wondering if anyone else here has encountered this significant fault with the Rega Neo Power Supply.

Basically, out of the blue using it the platter slows down or temporarily stops completely. Very intermittent. You can have days of it working OK but then out of the blue you are playing an LP and it suddenly slows to a crawl for a few seconds or comes to a standstill just to then speed up again, slow down again, etc.

OK, you may say I have a dud but this is my SECOND unit to do it. There is also information out there on the Net from others who have had the same problem.

If you took the unit back to a dealer they would test it and it would almost certainly behave fine because it does this 99% of the time. However, the 1% when it fails renders it useless.

Never had this problem with the original TTPSU (although I did have other problems). I'm beginning to think a basic model and wallwart is the way to go if I stick with Rega.

Cheers

Phil

I'm Chris.

Hi Phil,

In the short time I had my Neo with a 2016 model Planar 3 I can't say I had any such problems but IMHO it didn't sound much better than the standard wall wart PSU. I have had similar experiences with other manufacturers regenerative frequency PSUs. I reckon there is a lot to be said for the simple mains frequency synchronised capacitor phase change PSUs.

I hope you get the Neo sorted out to your satisfaction. Rega product support is excellent.

all the best

Chris

I'm Ray.

Is it under warranty still.

Looking on google there have been similar issues reported. Some were fixed by changing the wall plug.

Might be worthwhile checking the belt.

Thanks Chris. I agree about Rega product support being excellent.

I'll update on progress.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    Is it under warranty still.

Looking on google there have been similar issues reported. Some were fixed by changing the wall plug.

Might be worthwhile checking the belt.
    Thanks Ray. It's not the wallwart or belt as the belt is new and the wallwart was changed with the replacement Neo.

I suspect where people think the issue has been fixed it has not as it is so intermittent.

I should add I also have a very early Neo which has never displayed such problems so I suspect there may be a faulty more recent batch.

Playing a record this morning the platter again came to a complete halt suddenly but this time did not start up again. The Neo was still powered up and displaying the power light. I thought I'd just press the power switch off then on again. However, as my hand approached the Neo, maybe a few mm away from the power switch but not actually touching, it started up again. Coincidence or is it related in some way? I doubt I'll ever know.

I'm jamie.

shoot a video next time it happens so at least you can show it does it.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread