+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Revitalizing a dated NAD533/Rega 2 based system

I'm Adrian.

Default Revitalizing a dated NAD533/Rega 2 based system

Now my children have left home and I've retired, attention has turned once again to revisiting my vinyl collection. We're in the process of moving house , as a consequence I've sold a few bits we didn't want to move with, leaving just a NAD533 (rebadged Rega 2)with RB250 and Goldring 1012GX with Arcam 8 amp.

The question is what next? I'll need some new (to me) speakers - any suggestions?

I'd like to upgrade the NAD rather than buy new, I've changed the counterweight for something more solid, but not sure what to do next, assuming @ £150 to spend - subplatjer/platter/bearing upgrades?

Happy to hear suggestions, I have read the Rega upgrade thread with interest. I'm not terribly DIY gifted, so may farm out any upgrades to those who know - recommendations for such in the south Dorset area appreciated

I'm Gary.

Had that exact TT combination (well, the Rega 2 with the 1012GX) and a very good sounding thing it was too.
    Upgraded the cart to a 1042 and was a nice step up.

Speakers...the worlds your lobster.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Nothing wrong with keeping the NAD533 for now, it's a capable unit. Personally, I'd leave it standard, as the cost of upgrades to Rega based turntables generally seems to outweigh the gains.

You need to tell us what kind of speakers you want. Big floorstanders, compact standmounts, etc., then you can decide on amps. You should quote a budget and whether you want new or second hand items.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Thanks for the replies - for speakers I need something compact. I have some heavy spiked stands from the previous Celestion DL6's, these had to go as my wife thought them too large for the living room. After something smaller to sit on the stands which are @ 2' high. She's like a wood/unobtrusive finish to the speakers Budget wise, not much, somewhere @ £200, happy to buy used.

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post
    Thanks for the replies - for speakers I need something compact. I have some heavy spiked stands from the previous Celestion DL6's, these had to go as my wife thought them too large for the living room. After something smaller to sit on the stands which are @ 2' high. She's like a wood/unobtrusive finish to the speakers Budget wise, not much, somewhere @ £200, happy to buy used.
    Ive got a pair of tannoy 609 II with matching stands within your budget if your interested.
    Regards
    Mike.

I'm Mike.

As someone who’s done just about everything there is to do on a Rega and presuming you want to stick with the Rega arm my list of things to do from biggest sonic improvement to least are as follows:
    1. Get the motor off the plinth invest in an SRM Tech silent base, it does 2 jobs, it decouples the motor and helps insulate the deck from external noise.
    2. If the belt is old replace the belt, if you want your deck spinning at the correct speed.
    3. A new mat, the choice is yours
    4. Replace the sub platter with a tango spinner or I’d recommended the Fidelity design, the original plastic one is ok but they aren’t perfectly round a new metal one which has been turned on a lathe will be and again give your deck the best chance at an accurate speed.
    5. 24v motor upgrade and neo PSU, again it’s all about speed stability and reducing motor noise to the minimum, your motor will be getting on a bit so it may be a bit grumbly, also the neo allows you to change the speed without removing the platter.
    6. 26mm delrin or Pom platter, it carries more mass looks a damn sight better and in my opinion gives a slight sonic improvement, again I’d recommend Fidelity Design

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Matt.

I’m with Walpurgis on this,
    Keep the turntable as is. If it’s been dormant for a time, maybe just a quick service, new belt, bearing oil change & a reasonable new cart.
    Going beyond that doesn’t make much sense to me. Better off saving a bit more for a better turntable.
    If you’re looking 2nd hand then there will be loads of choice of speakers.
    Enjoy it for what it is & in time if you want to go further, you’ve got a decent base line to start from.

+ Reply to Thread