+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power supply for the Caiman seg

I'm Adib.

Default Power supply for the Caiman seg

Hi.

I have a 12v linear power supply which i bought back in the days for my Beresford Bushmaster Dac.
    I have been using it with the Caiman SEG and been happy with it, but i have been wondering if a 15V linear power supply maybe would be worth upgrading to?
    Anubody who have compared a 12v power supply to a 15v power supply?

The second question would be what amperage would be suitable/best?
    I found several online, but they all have different amperage, ranging from 15v 0,3A to 15v 3A.
    Also found one locally with 15V 0,6A value.
    What would be the suitable amperage/current range for the Caiman Seg?
    I have a unmodified Caiman SEG.

Adib

I'm Jerry.

You need the Dorado power supply enhancer first.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Adib.

Do I need a Dorado power supply enhancer first to hear any advantage of a 15v power supply over a 12v power supply?
    Last edited by adirah; 14-08-2020 at 14:43.

I'm Alastair.

I would get the Supercaps upgrade before trying 15v. For me, the Dorado only really made a difference compared to a 12V battery when used at 15V. If you get the Dorado, you can feed it with the 15V supply you have. The current draw is very low.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Adib.

Unfortunatly Beresford products dont ship to Norway at the moment so i wont have the oppurtunity to try out the Dorado or the firmware update.
    I was wondering if a 15v linear power supply would make a difference over 12v linear power supply with a unmodified Caiman SEG.

What would be required for a Supercaps upgrade? Would it make for a upgrade with a 12v power supply?
    Almost all commercial packages have to go through customs now becaus of covid-19, so it will be a real hassle to get it to Stan and back to me.
    There are electronic shop here that do soldering bit if I can supply the parts.
    Last edited by adirah; 14-08-2020 at 18:37.

I'm Alastair.

Sorry, I think you would have to ask Stanley questions like that. You can PM him.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

+ Reply to Thread