+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual uses for a turntable motor

I'm Rob.

Default Unusual uses for a turntable motor

Did anyone else see The Repair Shop last night?

One of the items repaired was a barber's pole. And the motor wasn't working. It turned out to be a turntable motor (I think they said it was a Garrard).

Has anyone else come across and unusual use for a turntable motor

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Geoff.

The repair was good but not authentic. Missing the blue stripe!

I'm Geoff.

Garrard cake display turntable.

Think it used a 301 motor, I used to own one.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Did anyone else see The Repair Shop last night?

One of the items repaired was a barber's pole. And the motor wasn't working. It turned out to be a turntable motor (I think they said it was a Garrard).

Has anyone else come across and unusual use for a turntable motor

Yes it was a Garrard motor Rob . The guy who repaired it repairs some interesting old valve gear too , including old radios .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Yes it was a Garrard motor Rob . The guy who repaired it repairs some interesting old valve gear too , including old radios .
    Thanks for the confirmation Brian
    Rob.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Garrard cake display turntable.

Think it used a 301 motor, I used to own one.
    Wow
    Rob.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I’m afraid I’m not a fan of this gentleman. In a previous episode, he made a pig’s ear of restoring a radiogram that was continually referred to as a “gramophone”, I suspect because the radio part was never shown working and thus I doubt whether he actually fixed it. During this repair, he plugged the amplifier unit in and tripped the breaker in the Repair Shop, cutting off all power, so clearly made no basic safety checks. He then proceeded to plug it in again afterwards and when the trip didn’t go again, he concluded it was fine!

Even with the turntable on the barber’s pole he joked about whether it would blow the fuses when he plugged it in so he clearly hasn’t learned and is STILL not making any safety checks! He’s allegedly a gramophone expert and this may be the case but he needs to be kept well away from electricity in my opinion. They’ve had a different chap on there that’s done some other valve radio repairs in the past and he is far more competent.

Frankly, as a massive fan of The Repair Shop, I consider him to be out of place amongst all the others, who are all absolutely brilliant – in particular the Steve the clock expert and Will the wood guy.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dennis.

They stated that the red and white stripes were historically because barbers used to do surgery, and that these colours represented bandages and blood. What would the blue represent?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    They stated that the red and white stripes were historically because barbers used to do surgery, and that these colours represented bandages and blood. What would the blue represent?
    Venous blood as opposed to arterial blood!

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I’m afraid I’m not a fan of this gentleman. In a previous episode, he made a pig’s ear of restoring a radiogram that was continually referred to as a “gramophone”, I suspect because the radio part was never shown working and thus I doubt whether he actually fixed it. During this repair, he plugged the amplifier unit in and tripped the breaker in the Repair Shop, cutting off all power, so clearly made no basic safety checks. He then proceeded to plug it in again afterwards and when the trip didn’t go again, he concluded it was fine!

Even with the turntable on the barber’s pole he joked about whether it would blow the fuses when he plugged it in so he clearly hasn’t learned and is STILL not making any safety checks! He’s allegedly a gramophone expert and this may be the case but he needs to be kept well away from electricity in my opinion. They’ve had a different chap on there that’s done some other valve radio repairs in the past and he is far more competent.

Frankly, as a massive fan of The Repair Shop, I consider him to be out of place amongst all the others, who are all absolutely brilliant – in particular the Steve the clock expert and Will the wood guy.
    Yup , I'm a massive fan too Adam . Unfortunately I know very little about vintage gear or electronics although I must admit I was a bit concerned when he tripped the breaker and put the workshop into darkness .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast