+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spendor speakers, are they boring?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Can you explain a bit more Clive, are you objecting to my view on the S8E, or are you confusing what i said, thinking i was refering to ALL Spendor speakers, and not just the S8E ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    ERM.....NO
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 11-08-2020 at 13:44.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Ian.

Default +1 for the D7.

I love the sound my D7s make, but I was looking for a little more depth to the bass. So I tried a matched REL S/510 at the recommendation of my local dealer. Needless to say I was very impressed; the overall sound experience is now richer, more spacious, dynamic all round - so very happy bunny.

I'm Shaun.

Had a pair of S3/5R2's for the last two years and although the mid and treble was stunning I found them largely flat and lifeless. Their midband was just so realistic but alas, I sold them on. To add to that though, I'd love to hear A4's and/or A7's.

I'm John.

I use S5e's with a Luxman 509X and in no way could the sound be described as boring.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Can you explain a bit more Clive, are you objecting to my view on the S8E, or are you confusing what i said, thinking i was refering to ALL Spendor speakers, and not just the S8E ???
    Q. Spendor speakers, are they boring?
    A. Erm...No

1/ was I objecting to the S8e’s... No, I used to own a pair before I upgraded to D7’s.
    2/ Spendor speakers have been and are my favourite speakers since I 1st heard them in the early seventies.

As a moderator, I’m extremely surprised you wanted to call me out on a simple question when I gave a simple answer.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

That's fine Clive, mine was the last post before you made your comment, so i naturaly thought you were refering to my post, no worries!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Q. Spendor speakers, are they boring?
    A. Erm...No

1/ was I objecting to the S8e’s... No, I used to own a pair before I upgraded to D7’s.
    2/ Spendor speakers have been and are my favourite speakers since I 1st heard them in the early seventies.

As a moderator, I’m extremely surprised you wanted to call me out on a simple question when I gave a simple answer.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Robert.

I can see why Anthony '??' the post as I too wasn't quite sure what was meant. I didn't at all get the impression that he was 'calling out', I read it as he was seeking clarity
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    It mat seem a bit of a generalization though I just wondered what the general consensus Is?
    Would you like to buy my BC1's and find out?
    Simon.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Although having three drivers, they are actualy a two way mainly, with the special wide band mid-high frequency unit doing most of the work from 600hz up to around 18k then there is a third driver a super tweeter that extends the frequency range out to around 30k all from memory, so please feel free to correct me!
    A...
    Main driver crosses to the first tweeter at 3Khz, super tweeter comes in at 13Khz. You need a good main driver to go to 3Khz without break up, a good xover design too.

'The midbass in an example to follow' according to Troels http://troelsgravesen.dk/vintageBC1....00%2C%20SP1039.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Main driver crosses to the first tweeter at 3Khz, super tweeter comes in at 13Khz. You need a good main driver to go to 3Khz without break up, a good xover design too.

'The midbass in an example to follow' according to Troels http://troelsgravesen.dk/vintageBC1....00%2C%20SP1039.
    I take it tweeters in those days weren't as robust as they are now? You can now easlily find a tweeter that could cross at 2khz, and extend to 20khz. The Wavecore I use at the moment is more than happy to be crossed at 1.5khz and extends all the way up tp 20khz (it does need a touch of eq to flatten the response though).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast