+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spendor speakers, are they boring?

I'm Steve.

Default Spendor speakers, are they boring?

It mat seem a bit of a generalization though I just wondered what the general consensus Is?

I'm Geoff.

Not heard many modern Spendors, but what I have heard have been good. Not sure that would make them boring. Dramatic sounding speakers tend to be flawed, the Mk.I AE1 and elderly Linn Sara spring to mind.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

A dealer told me there are two different designers or design philosophies in Spendor now, the old style classic line which won’t offend and the newer A and D series which are more upfront so definitely impossible to generalise.

I'm Rohan.

I suppose it depends on your definition of boring...and definitely there are different generations of Spendors to consider. This all sounds a bit like "Alfa Romeos are all rustbuckets". Lazy generalisations that creep into the collective mindset and stay put.

I mean, if you wanted massive dynamic swings and slamming bass you wouldn't go out and buy a set of BC1 for example. If you made clear what you like to listen to and at what volume, people would be able to advise you better on how YOU would find them.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    It mat seem a bit of a generalization though I just wondered what the general consensus Is?
    Judging by the magnificent job a set of SP100Rs were making at banging out thumping techno at Bristol last year, I'm going with "No".

We also used to use a pair of S8s as our refeence speakers at Hi-Fi World years ago and they were superb, albeit somewhat amplifier-dependent.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    A dealer told me there are two different designers or design philosophies in Spendor now, the old style classic line which won’t offend and the newer A and D series which are more upfront so definitely impossible to generalise.
    +1 That's exactly what I've been led to believe from various quarters. The classic type Spendors are said to be balanced, and non fatiguing with lovely mids, which Spendors became renowned for. Here's a great review / Classic v 'D' line comparison https://darko.audio/2020/01/spendor-...rsus-the-d7-2/

I have the D7 floorstander and they are great speakers. The above review does describe the D7 accurately.

The 'D' line adds a little more sparkle and 'upfrontness' to proceedings and grab your attention more. It is a new take on what people know as Spendor.

I find them dynamic too. I love mine, they are quality. I'll go to the revised D7.2 in the future.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I have owned a few Spendor Speakers over the years, from SP1, to S8E, and S9E, I wouldnt describe any of them as boring, they are however; quite Amp and room dependant, from memory, the S9E worked better in my set up at the time, but out of all three, the ones i should have held onto were the SP1, they had an uncanny way of delivering music in a way that seemed very right in many areas of the audio spectrum, its hard to explain. Although having three drivers, they are actualy a two way mainly, with the special wide band mid-high frequency unit doing most of the work from 600hz up to around 18k then there is a third driver a super tweeter that extends the frequency range out to around 30k all from memory, so please feel free to correct me!
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    I have owned a few Spendor Speakers over the years, from SP1, to S8E, and S9E, I wouldnt describe any of them as boring, they are however; quite Amp and room dependant, from memory, the S9E worked better in my set up at the time, but out of all three, the ones i should have held onto were the SP1, they had an uncanny way of delivering music in a way that seemed very right in many areas of the audio spectrum, its hard to explain. Although having three drivers, they are actually a two way mainly, with the special wide band mid-high frequency unit doing most of the work from 600hz up to around 18k then there is a third driver a super tweeter that extends the frequency range out to around 30k all from memory, so please feel free to correct me!
    A...
    You've had some nice Spendors there Anthony
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

As i mentiond, just be careful with partnering, the S8E was the most problematic in my system, they seem to be better suited to high quality solid state amps rather than valve.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    You've had some nice Spendors there Anthony
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Clive.

ERM.....NO
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast