+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What the F**k is going on in this country?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What's the Trumpster been up to then?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jeremy.

Uh there was an incident with a secret service getting shot, not sure on details. Riots going on for over 2 months in some places... Annoying pointless crap like grocery stores having only 1 door open? (to make sure people breath around each other more????) and you can eat out at a restaurant without a mask on but have to wear it to the table you sit at???? We've gone crazy, in so many ways.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's not my issue, though. Last time you said the point of the HoL was to 'temper' over-exuberant authoritarian behaviour by the government, so is that noble notion best served by filling it with 'Boris's best buddies', as appears to be the case?

They simply won't be impartial, therefore completely incapable of 'tempering' anything, and so aren't fit for purpose!

Marco.
    Lords aren't necessarily meant to be impartial. The majority of them represent their political party in the Lords. Boris put some mates in there because a) all Prime Ministers do that and are expected to do it. b) He had very few if any pals there beforehand.

And no-one is ever or can ever be completely 'impartial'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Ok, but you said earlier that one of the jobs of the HoL was to curb the authoritarian excesses of the government, so how is that likely to be achieved if they represent the same political party as the prime minister?

I understand that no-one can ever be totally impartial, but at least a bit more impartial than either a personal friend of the PM, or a Tory. Essentially, I simply can't see how what you've said is a core function of the HoL could possibly play out in practice, given the existence of said Tory bias...

One thing's for sure, it'd be a damn sight more impartial if the HoL were populated instead by members of the British people who had no leanings towards the government in power and/or weren't a buddy of the PM, which is why I've said all along that the HoL is a joke and simply an outdated 'old boy's network', rife with cronyism, and which simply isn't fit for the purpose - at least not what you've outlined!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lords aren't necessarily meant to be impartial. The majority of them represent their political party in the Lords. Boris put some mates in there because a) all Prime Ministers do that and are expected to do it. b) He had very few if any pals there beforehand.

And no-one is ever or can ever be completely 'impartial'.
    I never really put Conservatism and Communism side by side, but then I suppose they have similarities in the extreme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Paul.

Rewards for friends has been going on since 1066 in this country, probably even earlier.

" Fight with your King & I'll give you Northumberland or Scotland as your reward "

Old news

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ok, but you said earlier that one of the jobs of the HoL was to curb the authoritarian excesses of the government, so how is that likely to be achieved if they represent the same political party as the prime minister?

I understand that no-one can ever be totally impartial, but at least a bit more impartial than either a personal friend of the PM, or a Tory. Essentially, I simply can't see how what you've said is a core function of the HoL could possibly play out in practice, given the existence of said Tory bias...

Marco.
    I did also say that since they are unelected they don't have to worry about towing the party line since they cannot be deselected by constituency parties nor does it matter if the whip is withdrawn or even if they are expelled from the party, they remain a Lord and still get to speak and vote.

Consequently they are free to 'vote with their conscience'. At least in theory. Although there are many incidences of Lords voting against their own party and many instances of the Lords as a whole influencing and rejecting government legislation.

That the Lords are not elected is a feature, not a bug.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The democratic argument only really holds water if what politicians say, and what is reported by the media, is the truth. Without that, the electorate is not in a position to make informed choice. I despair at the litany of lies told by our leading politicians and of course Donald Trump has recently walked out of a press conference when his statements were fact checked. Where are the 200,000 starter homes promised in 2015? Where is the £350m a week for the NHS? Where is the easiest ever trade deal? It is an utter embarrassment.
    Last edited by oldius; 12-08-2020 at 05:39.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

Mmm, ok Martin... But I still stand by everything I said. Until both cronyism and nepotism is wiped out from the HoL, for me it's unfit for the earlier purpose you outlined.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by AV8 View Post
    Rewards for friends has been going on since 1066 in this country, probably even earlier.

" Fight with your King & I'll give you Northumberland or Scotland as your reward "

Old news
    Doesn't make it right though, or that steps shouldn't be taken to stop it!

One of my pet hates is when folk say 'It's just how it is'... Well, fuck that - if 'how it is' isn't good, or right, then seek to change it for something better!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast