+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit of general advice on TT and tonearm 'sounds'.

I'm Mike.

Default A bit of general advice on TT and tonearm 'sounds'.

I have two turntables at the moment, a Notts analogue Interspace and a Garrard 401, both run great. Jelco 750d arm on the 401 and Nima on the NA, Nag MP200 on both. I've been using the 401 in an old SME plinth (lead lined) for a while now, its been sounding ok, but still when playing those infamous 60s beat/rock records, the sound quite often grates, sibilance I believe is the term. So thought I'd plug in the NA/Nima again only for the sound to be even worse! That is to say it sounds pretty good with other types of music, but stuff like Stones Exile on main st, are almost unplayable. I swear its set up right, i took care, used a template, etc. So now thinking, do I try the Nima on the Garrard, or try another TT? Would I be better off with an old 'fruitbox' LP12 or Voyd? So what I'm after really is the general characteristics of each TT, idler - specifically the 401, the Notts analogue heavy platter belt drive type, and the usual belt drive type such as LP12 or Voyd and many others, including of course the Rega Planars. What I'd really like to know, is the 401 considered an audiophile TT that will 'show up bad recordings' - I know that will depend on the arm of course, and to a lesser extent I guess the plinth. Am I better off persisting with the Garrard and get a 'better' plinth (i.e. a heavy plywood one), is that my best bet at making my beloved 60s records more listenable? At the moment use a Valve/AN J set up - but that was pretty bad with 60s rock, but quite a revelation with jazz, so bought a Rega Brio off here, and that's more of an all rounder, and I'm quite happy with it for the time being, use it with some Chario syntars, a nice enough speaker, but feel I could do with some more presence and a bigger sound stage, the sound seems a bit recessed with them, the opposite of the AN Js. I'm thinking myself the Notts might be a too clinical, that;s my estimation, I'm not sure what conclusions to draw on the 401 yet, may'be it just needs a more suitable arm for my tastes, the Nima might be ok? May'be I should get an old RB300?

Does my Nima look set up correctly to you?

IMG_20200810_212059858 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

IMG_20200810_212020704 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

IMG_20200810_212036656 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

IMG_20200810_212046871 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Graham.

Hi Mike,
    Some 60s rock is among the hardest to get sounding decent, sounding thin and compressed.
    However your 401 is a good deck for rock, having decent drive and bass when correctly setup. It was once read it described as the best deck for pink floyd !
    Before splashing the cash, I would listen to.some other 401 (and other idlers such as lenco/td124)
    Being in Brighton there are a few people not far from you with some well setup decks who I am sure would be delighted to demo their systems once covid restrictions lift of course.
    Your 401 can be anything you want, from a decent deck to something quite extraordinary if you put in the time and effort , there are so many upgrade options available to with a 401.
    Your sme plinth wont be doing it any favours. And perhaps your speakers are not ideal as sibilance is not something I associate with a 401. When I used a jelco 750.on.my 401 I found it rather dull. Other potential sources of sibilance are your cart /phono stage match. Graham slee stages can be on the brighter side and may suit a more laid back speaker.
    For rock I would also be looking at getting some valves in the phono replay stage as they tend to be a bit more forgiving at the top end and can help to add scale.

I'm Graham.

Btw 401s often work well with uni pivot arms. I moved from the underwhelming jelco to an audio note arm which is a captured unipivot and noticed it was much more effective at isolating the cart from the motor.

I am sure the jelco 750 is a.decent arm but I can see why it would work better on an energetic technics than on the more measured 401.
    Last edited by graham67; 10-08-2020 at 22:40.

I'm Mike.

Thanks alot Graham, I had a feeling I should keep the 401, I'll try the Nima with it.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Graham.

Dounle post

I'm Mike.

What effect does a heavy thick platter have on sound?
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 10-08-2020 at 23:18.

I'm Graham.

Hopefully someone else will answer that. I use an old style loricraft plinth which is a slab of wood on sorbothane balls and probably closer in design concept to the sme plinth you have ��

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hopefully someone else will answer that. I use an old style loricraft plinth which is a slab of wood on sorbothane balls and probably closer in design concept to the sme plinth you have ��
    Sorry meant plinth! My NAS TT has a thick heavy plinth, I think this has made the music too leaden at times, or may'be it was the tonearm, just remembering first getting the NAS and playing some dance 12" and the beats were awful, clod hopping around making an awful racket, whereas before they were buoyant and bouncy.

I'm Mike.

Anyone else find the Notts Analogue TT's a tad leaden?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Thing is that a lot of 60s rock was cut to play on any record player, so will sound a bit thin and bandwidth limited.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast