+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone sell off the shelf low pass filters in UK

I'm Chris.

Default Does anyone sell 'off the shelf' low pass filters in UK

I want to experiment changing the low pass filter on the 15 inch driver in my 3 way open baffles. At the moment the output from the 15" bass driver is intruding too much on the midrange. It crosses over at 400-500 Hz and I would like to try 100 to 150 Hz.

Does anyone in the UK sell 'off the shelf' low pass filters? Cost is of the essence while I experiment. I have a microphone and REW software so I can monitor the output.

Just thinking aloud, but a passive variable low pass filter would be great if such a thing exists.
    Last edited by bumpy; 10-08-2020 at 09:40.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Rob.

There is a simple DIY low pass sub on the link below. A 6.5mh inductor costs £10 at Mouser. 6.8mh at CPC is £7.70.

I built a passive sub many moons with an inductor and cap and it worked ok.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ubwoofer-d-i-y

https://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/electron...ts?st=Inductor
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    There is a simple DIY low pass sub on the link below. A 6.5mh inductor costs £10 at Mouser. 6.8mh at CPC is £7.70.

I built a passive sub many moons with an inductor and cap and it worked ok.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ubwoofer-d-i-y

https://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/electron...ts?st=Inductor
    Thanks Puffin
    At present I have been totally put off DIY. Recently I wanted to add a bit of extra attenuation to a passive volume control. Strictly following advice on here I bought a couple of resistors and soldered them in circuit exactly as suggested. The result was a couple of loud bangs and a firework display from my vintage Saba green cone drivers They had survived from the mid 1950s but are no more - voice coils melted and twisted and paper cones torn to shreds.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Rob.

Chris, i don't think you can go far wrong with the circuit I posted. You certainly wouldn't blow anything up......would you?

I have a pair of Lampizator OB's with SABA GC's HF and Mids gathering dust. I was never that smitten with them, but last used them about 2 years ago. I have thought of selling them, but I don't know.

EDIT: I have just remembered that I have a pair of built crossovers on PCBs for (I think) a 3 way speaker that I got from an Audiojumble years ago. They appear to be new and unused. I have never got around to doing anything with them. I am pretty sure that they have a Sub connection, but I will need to find them to confirm. If these are any good to you.....?

EDIT 2: Bummer, they are only 2-Way HF and LF, mind you the inductors are enormous, but no visible specs.
    Last edited by Puffin; 10-08-2020 at 14:59.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Chris.

I think I have found another way to sort this. The current inductor on the bass driver is about 4mH and my calculator suggest 10 mH is needed.

I have discover in my bits and pieces a pair of inductors that I stripped out of an old pair of Radford speakers. I believe them to be about 6mH.

Can I solder the two inductors (4 and 6mH) in series to give 10mH. Is it as simple as that, with no need for concerns about polarity?

P1090352.jpg
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Dennis.

Yes, but you have to consider the orientation of the turns, if opposite you will get cancellation. Also consider the proximity to each other and any change in value that might have due to magnetic coupling.

I'm Chris.

Great point about the magnetic fields. To be absolutely clear. I guess this is the worst case

P1090355.jpg
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

And this is the best. With as much social distancing as can be achieved

P1090356.jpg
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Anyone?
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Sorry to go on a bit, but is there anyone can confirm I have understood the inductor orientation correctly. Have been patiently waiting a week to do this job.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast