+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open invitation to contribute to a general Library article on refurbishment

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Arrow Open invitation to contribute to a general Library article on refurbishment

[Note: See details explaining the open invitation above, further on in my post #15].

Cosmetic refurbishment of a B&O 1700 tuner

I bought this tuner off eBay and it arrived today. As with any used vintage or classic audio equipment, I always give the exterior a good clean and try to restore, as much as I can, the cosmetic condition.

Having just done this, I thought I would pass on my experience to others who like to do the same; there are at least a couple of members of AoS, who are interested in refurbishing used audio items. Whilst these notes specifically refer to the above-mentioned tuner, they are sufficiently general to apply to most classic items.

First of all, I have to say that the tuner cosmetically was in excellent condition: no scratches; dents; ‘dings’ or rubbed out lettering. It was however dirty, being mostly due to finger grease and dust. There was an overall patina of grime, suggesting that a smoker might have used the item.

First step is to play some calm, soothing music whilst you are working on the clean up: I chose to play some baroque and early music.

Next place the item on a cloth or old towel; you don’t want to add any scratches or scuff marks. Dust the item with a duster, and then wipe down the entire exterior with a damp cloth, working the cloth into the ventilation slots.

With the exception of the rear and underside of the tuner, the visible parts consisted of a black, brushed, and anodised facia with wood top and sides. I think the wood is teak, but I’m not sure – perhaps our resident dendrologist can identify it from the photograph.

Next step is to clean up the fascia and remove the greasy grime. To do this, gently rub and wipe the surface with a cloth soaked in white spirit. Pay particular attention to those parts that have received the most finger marks: the controls such as the tuning cursor, the preset thumb wheels and the push buttons. These parts will most likely need extra attention, requiring the use of some polishing wadding (‘Duraglit’ or similar). Be careful and don’t rub too hard, otherwise you might find yourself removing the lettering! Push the push buttons in and out, so as to clean them thoroughly. On this tuner the push buttons are contiguous, even so their sides can be cleaned using dental floss to work in between the small gaps. Also be careful not to use the wadding on any textured surfaces, such as the grooved edges of the thumb wheels or knurled knobs, otherwise when the alcohol evaporates, you will be left with rouge in the grooves and these will require an old toothbrush to clean it out.

I even took some time to clean up the captive mains lead. At some time, some gloss paint had splashed onto the lead. This took a combination of white spirit to remove the general grime, and some paintbrush cleaner to soften the paint, so that it could be scratched away with a fingernail. I could have replaced the mains cable, but it was in excellent condition, and of the appropriate colour. Being original, it used the Danish mains wiring colour code, before the introduction of the EU harmonisation.

The final treatment of the fascia is to polish it using something like Pledge or Mr Sheen. Use acute sight lines to ensure that the surface is polished evenly. Pay particular attention to the tuning scale, or in this case the cursor. The plastic of the cursor on the tuner had become dull with age. Unfortunately I don’t know what can be done about it, however the dullness is even and uniform. There will be some parts that have become permanently polished through repeated rubbing by the users fingers. In my case this was around the preset thumb wheels, again there is little that can be done about this, but this defect is minor.

The wood parts can now be polished using wax furniture polish and much ‘elbow grease’.

Finally, there will be inevitable slight blemishes of the black anodising, especially on edges and corners. These can be touched up using a black spirit-based magic marker. This can only be a palliative measure – it’s not permanent and is only effective for the smallest of marks.

Now you can sit back and admire your handiwork. No doubt most people might feel that I have been unnecessarily fussy, well whereas some people will refurbish cars or furniture, paintings, or clocks - I refurbish audio equipment.

Here is a photograph showing the result of my labours.

What does it sound like? Well that will be the subject of a future post.

Trust this is found to be useful and interesting.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Looks very nice Barry I will be interested to read what you think of the sound.

I usually use Tesco's clear antibacterial cleaner + cotton wool buds and pads + some kitchen roll. I use this for metal work, buttons and screen cleaning. Wood cases get a rub with clear bees wax polish.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

These items were available primarily in teak or rosewood veneer (often on a plastic base)and here's the problem. The teak darkens over the decades and the rich red rosewood can lighten to a burnt orange colour, not far off the Teak by this time. I have a sneaky suspicion that yours may be a teak one but cannot be certain.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Best facia cleaner i ever used & doesnt smear was the green liquid spray window cleaner

I'm Dave.

Barry,
    Good article. I must get down to cleaning up my £10.25 B&O tuner...

The finish is Teak. Back in the distant mists of time, there was only Teak or Rosewood. Later came Walnut, Black Ash, then Cherry.

The splattering on the cable is often not paint - it is spider shite...

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Best facia cleaner i ever used & doesnt smear was the green liquid spray window cleaner
    Exactly what I was going to recommend - Mr Muscle Window & Glass cleaner - I use this on my plasma screen (glass) - but it also fantastic on plastic LCD screens, laptop screens and perspex - but always test a small area first, just in case - I've never had a problem, always brings them up like new - but no liability accepted, etc!

http://www.scjohnson.co.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=6030

Oh, and currently only £1.00 instead of £1.59 in Sainsbury - bought 3 at the weekend! (See Barry, still hunting out my bargain bottles!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Looks peachy Barry - Nice job
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Exactly what I was going to recommend - Mr Muscle Window & Glass cleaner - I use this on my plasma screen (glass) - but it also fantastic on plastic LCD screens, laptop screens and perspex - but always test a small area first, just in case - I've never had a problem, always brings them up like new - but no liability accepted, etc!

Oh, and currently only £1.00 instead of £1.59 in Sainsbury - bought 3 at the weekend! (See Barry, still hunting out my bargain bottles!)
    Aye i use that on everything it's brilliant with a soft lint free cloth usually my cotton underpants

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Aye i use that on everything it's brilliant with a soft lint free cloth
    Ditto, great stuff.

I also use the lens wipes that I use for my glasses - but you have to be quick with those.
    Martin.

Sony XA20ES -> Cambridge Dac Magic -> Quad 99 pre amp -> Quad 909 Power amp -> Mission 753 Freedom. ICs - Cable Talk Broadcast, Speaker Cable - Cable Talk 4.1 Bi wire.

I'm ChrisB.

Glass cleaner, that's the stuff!
    Also, a good soak in water for knobs with knurled edges.
    Newsprint & meths for glass.
    Cotton buds
    WD40 for sticky stuff - but be very careful and sparing with this
    Dental floss for small gaps.

It looks great & I think it's Teak, Barry!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast