+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern amp with linked pre out and power amp in ?

I'm Paul.

My very old Nytech ca252 has a pre-out/power in socket, and I've just found out that Nytech's current integrated, ca352, still has one - but at £2k, might be too much.

This might be obvious, but an amp with a 'tape monitor' switch will do what you want - via tape out/tape in sockets - 'monitor on' just internally disconnects them. My
    dad had (an even older) Leak stereo 30 plus, that had this feature - from the 60s, when tape was popular, but probably quite rare today....
    khozmo passive pre/nytech ca252/cxa252 amps, arc 101 speakers
    vinyl: --- lp12/kore/lingo4/ekos2/dv 10x5/gs accession
    digital: --- caiman SEG/allo digione, synology nas, rotel 965 cd

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Quite a lot of the Arcam Diva range offer this. My Arcam A85 (not currently in use) has this facility, in fact before I acquired my Bel Canto Ref500s I used the A85 purely as a power amplifier. It is a very dynamic and crisp sounding amplifier, better than the A90 that followed it and one of What Hi-Fi's 19 best sounding amplifiers of all time.

It has a little switch that switches between integrated and pre/power. The power accepts an input from any variable line source, whilst the pre section can still be used entirely separately.

In your situation you would select the pre/power function and run the processor between the pre out and power in connections. Would work perfectly that.
    yes great suggestion , been doing that , not as good of course as the ref 500s as a power amp !!!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

not quite what the op is looking for but i do love the sub out feature on this bargain priced p6

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/top...und-p6-preamp/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBarnett View Post

This might be obvious, but an amp with a 'tape monitor' switch will do what you want - via tape out/tape in sockets - 'monitor on' just internally disconnects them. My
    dad had (an even older) Leak stereo 30 plus, that had this feature - from the 60s, when tape was popular, but probably quite rare today....
    +1 to using tape monitor and the tape loop circuit - essentially as the loop is before the preamp section.

@paul, surely you mean connects them not disconnects them?

@steve, will you be applying room correction when using the minidsp or just the sub crossover?

[edit] after reflection this aint gonna work as there will be no attenuation for the sub. Sorry. As you were ...
    Last edited by Edward; 08-08-2020 at 11:22. Reason: added thoughts
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Steve.

McIntosh MA5300 , I’ve got one and it has linked pre out and power amp in. Nicely built as well

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    +1 to using tape monitor and the tape loop circuit - essentially as the loop is before the preamp section.

@paul, surely you mean connects them not disconnects them?

@steve, will you be applying room correction when using the minidsp or just the sub crossover?

[edit] after reflection this aint gonna work as there will be no attenuation for the sub. Sorry. As you were ...
    Maybe. what i think happens is

on - preamp is not conected to power amp - signal is intended to go from preamp to tape record head, to tape, read back off tape replay head, then back to power amp
    - to allow monitoring of the signal off the tape as it is being recorded (with a small delay).

off - preamp is connected internally to poweramp.

And just though of this - volume control would normally be after tape out/tape in, (You would not want amp volume control to affect tape record level) so minidsp would see
    constant full amplitude signal regardless of volume. This is probably what you want, I think.
    khozmo passive pre/nytech ca252/cxa252 amps, arc 101 speakers
    vinyl: --- lp12/kore/lingo4/ekos2/dv 10x5/gs accession
    digital: --- caiman SEG/allo digione, synology nas, rotel 965 cd

I'm John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12