+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OH DEAR!

I'm Howard.

Default OH DEAR!

Gentlemen, to what extent - if at all - is the availability (or not) of spare boards … as distinct from spare parts … a purchasing influence on you?

Recent experience, somewhat unfortunate experience, regarding a Musical Fidelity Encore 250 revealed that all spares are kept in Austria, where are the new owners of the Company are based.

Investigation confirmed that prior to the remaining facets of MF being transferred to the new owner, a policy decision was made that all parts for all vintage items i.e. those which are not still in production were binned.

Now in some circumstances this isn't so much of a problem because, of course, some third-party / OEM components are still readily available and not necessarily specified to be precisely MF spec but that might not matter too much.

But on the other hand, complete boards (given the modern multi-layer complexity) ibeing resistant to replacing one or more individual components and, as I found out, a complete board is required. This is exactly the position I found myself in with the Encore 250 despite the fact it is still in production.

So in essence does it make sense these days to check availability of all main and secondary boards prior to investing substantial money in pre-owned classic equipment?

I've asked myself this question on a number of occasions and have yet to come up to a conclusion. Thoughts invited. Thanks. H
    Well, hello.

I'm Dave.

I always consider backup service when taking on a brand and some are dire.

I'm Dennis.

That is true I have found difficulty with a company, my trying in VAIn to get service.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If an established and well regarded manufacturer is sold to new owners, the new owners are often not willing to repair, maintain or service older models.

SME and Harman International spring to mind, and I expect Quad will be not far behind.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

It's along time since QUAD were sold (20 years?) and it hasn't happened yet though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's along time since QUAD were sold (20 years?) and it hasn't happened yet though.
    Only because the service department is still at Huntingdon and some of the staff there are old enough to be familiar with the older models.

I can't imagine them servicing a Corner Ribbon speaker, or the Series II valve gear now. In their hay day, when it was owned by the Walker family, I visited them in Huntingdon and showed them an old 'Acoustical' AM tuner (styled to match the Quad valve preamp, AM2 and FM2 tuners). They hadn't seen one for ages and knew little about it. I doubt if the situation has changed since.

Having said that, I should mention that every time I have spoken to the guys at Huntingdon, they have been very helpful, knowledgeable, friendly and reassuring.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Unfortunately this is the price you pay nowadays and to be honest most manufacturers don’t want to have to house spares for models 20+ years old, they want the kit to be irreparable and force you to buy new, it keeps them in business at the end of the day whereas having huge amounts of spares will cost them money and as they see it stop you making a new purchase.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Martin.

The old stuff will always be repairable though, like the classic valve amps

And other classic gear has had a whole industry built up around restoring it, like with classic cars. I bet that barring an asteroid strike or something like that people will still be using Radford amps and Jensen Interceptors 200 years from now. The tat will fall by the wayside but that's no bad thing and there'll always be plenty of new tat to replace it.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The old stuff will always be repairable though, like the classic valve amps

And other classic gear has had a whole industry built up around restoring it, like with classic cars. I bet that barring an asteroid strike or something like that people will still be using Radford amps and Jensen Interceptors 200 years from now. The tat will fall by the wayside but that's no bad thing and there'll always be plenty of new tat to replace it.
    Yes - old stuff will be repairable because it was made to be repairable: toasters, irons, TVs as well as cars, bikes etc. The only problem is obtaining the parts and components; which for semiconductors will become increasingly hard to source.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Be able to 3D print them in a few years time. Probably.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast