+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OH DEAR!

I'm Martin.

Actually I should answer the question which was would I buy something knowing there were no spare boards and it was landfill if one dies? Like a Class D amp for example.

I would, if I was keen on it, but I'd factor that into how much I was prepared to pay.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

The price of Class D amp boards and Dacs are anything from the price of a large glass of Sauvignonpinotproseccoblanc to a meal for 4. It's a throw away (or flush away) society
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If an established and well regarded manufacturer is sold to new owners, the new owners are often not willing to repair, maintain or service older models.

SME and Harman International spring to mind, and I expect Quad will be not far behind.
    I'm not sure where this information is coming from. SME will still service everything that they would have serviced before their decision to stop selling arms. As far as I know, it's only the early 3009/12 models that they no longer support, but this has been the case for a number of years.

https://sme.co.uk/audio/support/service-repair/
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Try and stick to equipment that was built using conventional components, and good design practices, there is plenty of well designed, over engineered hence pretty much bomb proof equipment out there for the right money, Going back to digital, and CD in paticular, if your looking for a decent CD player, look at posible common issues, and try and find a source of the components beforehand ie; lasers, and transports, Dac chips etc, etc, if you have at least one spare of the most critical parts, then you shouldnt worry too much.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Tony.

This is the main reason I gave up repairing MF equipment even before Project bought them out, they would dump models that didn't sell within 12 months.
    I could mention a couple of products that within 6 months were obsolete and then the MF 'offering' a p/x cost deal against its replacement

My suggestion would be to try John Sampson ex mf guy and he knows MF gear very well.

John Sampson Engineer
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Adrian.

I would confer this with respect to certain Meridian gear no longer manufactured and not supported anymore. Some of the 500 range is near on impossible to repair cost effectively if a board fails. The 562 surround sound processor unit is a good example, they can develop issues and if a board is needed then you are effectively looking for a donor or scraping it and buying another. I am not sure about earlier models or the later G range. They are pretty reliable though but can be costly if they fail.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I'm not sure where this information is coming from. SME will still service everything that they would have serviced before their decision to stop selling arms. As far as I know, it's only the early 3009/12 models that they no longer support, but this has been the case for a number of years.

https://sme.co.uk/audio/support/service-repair/
    What about the 'M2' and 'M2-R' models? The website you cite does not give an information on servicing - presumably due to C-19.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

One of the NAD M models is landfill if the board goes, someone on another forum was told that his was unrepairable due to the surface mount boards used and they didn't make them any more, from memory it was only a few years old at the time.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    One of the NAD M models is landfill if the board goes, someone on another forum was told that his was unrepairable due to the surface mount boards used and they didn't make them any more, from memory it was only a few years old at the time.
    It is usually possible to replace surface mount components if you have access to the right tools. The big issue is that if a programmable IC fails, even if you can buy a new chip, you have zero chance of getting hold of the software with which to re-program it.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Tony.

However if it has a J-tag you can interrogate the processor/pfga with a serial decoder a Jtag programmer is peanuts these days, though like Adam has mentioned your need to understand the circuit before attempting a mem dump
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12