+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R2R - Newbie recommendations

I'm Andrew.

Gents, thanks one and all. I think it's now high time I had a good sit down and learn some of the basics. Are there any particular tape formats which are frown upon? It seems the higher the IPS the more expensive the machine. Finally, what's the difference between a two track and a four track machine?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alan.

Andrew
    Generally !, there is a lot more detail but but this will give you the general idea
    You want New 1/4" Tape, dont buy any second hand or NOS from ebay as most of it has sticky shed and costs just as much a new reel from the likes of Thomann
    The only old tape that I have that is OK is the Maxell XL1 & UD
    There is still plenty of new tape available, I did a thread here http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread....highlight=tape
    I buy Pancakes which is a reel of tape without the alloy reel then I load it onto old alloy reels which I believe are better quality then the new ones available with the tape.
    The RTM LPR-90 is one of my favourite tapes and is £35 for a 1100m 10.5" pancake
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/rtm_lpr_90...ab_pancake.htm
    R2R machines have a Record and playback Equalisation curve which is either NAB or IEC ( a bit like Vinyl RIAA) it doesent matter which one you use as long as you are recording and playing back in the same EQ
    NAB is the American format and IEC is the European format
    Some machines such as Studer, Tascam and Otari have switchable EQ
    Like cassette decks you will always get the best out of your machine if its properly calibrated for the tape type you use

Most modern pre recorded tapes available now tend to use IEC standard

Tape speeds generally used is 3.75"IPS, 7.5"IPS, 15"IPS & 30"IPS
    The lower the tape speed the longer you get out of the tape but the quality is not so good
    3.75ips - is OK quality, generally used for speach but some people still use it for Audio and lots of old pre recorded tape at this speed generally 4 track
    7.5ips - Good quality and adequate for many people, on good machines can sound superb and has a fulsome bass
    15ips - Excellent quality and dynamic range with slightly leaner but tauter bass
    30ips - Excellent quality and dynamic range mainly used in recording studios and not many machines support this speed

Most machines will have a choice of 2 speeds generally 3.75/7.5ips or 7.5/15ips some have all 4 speeds like my Studer A810 and the Technics RS1500 has 3 speeds 3.75,7.5,15 this machine also has 2 sets of tape heads and can record and playback in 2 track and can playback only in 4 track so a very versatile machine.

2 Track machines have only 2 tracks in the same direction so have a wider track width and slightly better dynamic range than a 4 track machine but have only half the play time of a 4 track machine

There are generally 2 types of 4 track machines
    1 - Tape head has 4 tracks and can record individually on each track all in one direction, these are generally used by musicians for composing a sond with different instruments on each track then you get a complete song playing back all tracks together and example of this is the Teac 3440. Studio machines can have upto 24 tracks

2- A domestic 4 track machine works like a cassette deck where you can record and playback on tracks 1&3 or 2&4 some have auto reverse and some you have to thttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVAmf95x5xI0nyOEcIHRrw/videos?view_as=subscriberurn both the tape reels over
    The advantage of a 4 track machine is being able to get a lot of play time out of on tape

Here is a link to some of my machines
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMV..._as=subscriber
    Alan
    Last edited by 337alant; 10-08-2020 at 16:09.
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Bob.

Good stuff, and another vote for RTM LPR-90. Empty aluminium reels can be bought here amongst other places. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-10-5...oAAOSwvSpakSip

About 15 quid and they came with used, but pretty clean storage boxes.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Andrew.

Alan many many thanks for your very detailed reply I've been studying the various forums to try and gain a little more knowledge
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Good stuff, and another vote for RTM LPR-90. Empty aluminium reels can be bought here amongst other places. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-10-5...oAAOSwvSpakSip

About 15 quid and they came with used, but pretty clean storage boxes.
    Nice solid reels from this seller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12