+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi Digi Hats

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I use RPI2 with HiFiBerry Digi which I purchased from a fellow AoSer over a year ago and plug it into a Caimen SEG DAC and to be honest I have not looked back. Several times I have considered upgrading either the HAT or selling the lot and going to a single box, each time I have backed out because I am not sure I would get or hear much difference. Plus with the single box I would be likely to loose flexibility unless I spent quite a lot.
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm after some advice on using my Pi3 into a Bushmaster mk1. I'm currently using a coax out direct from my PC motherboard into the Bushmaster. Im finding it hard to find relevant info on whether replacing this with a dedicated RPI with digital out would improve SQ?

I've got a RPI3 laying around so would just need to get the digital out sorted.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Current headphone system: Synology DS212j NAS -> 3rd Gen i5 PC -> Coax out -> Bushmaster mk1 -> AKG 701

Currently in storage speaker system: Need a digital source -> Cyrus 8vs2 -> DIY built IPL acoustics M1TLm with custom speaker cables.

I'm Grant.

the digione coax board is an excellent hat. not cheap but its good value. fits onto an rpi3
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dan.

I know this is a pretty open ended question but: Would an RPI be a SQ improvement over my current PC setup? There seems to be so many things to consider in this regard. PC hardware, software, Windows resampling etc etc.

Current headphone system: Synology DS212j NAS -> 3rd Gen i5 PC -> Coax out -> Bushmaster mk1 -> AKG 701

Currently in storage speaker system: Need a digital source -> Cyrus 8vs2 -> DIY built IPL acoustics M1TLm with custom speaker cables.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
    I know this is a pretty open ended question but: Would an RPI be a SQ improvement over my current PC setup? There seems to be so many things to consider in this regard. PC hardware, software, Windows resampling etc etc.

i use an Allo Digione too. No question that it is far superior to a typical PC setup.

I'm Dan.

What differences are there between the Digione and say a Hifiberry Digi+ pro in terms of SQ?

I'm Andrew.

First and foremost using any Pi with any Digi hat will be at least as good , in my opinion better than using a PC . A PC is a very electrically noisy enviroment and is constantly doing other things as well as sending the digital signal to your DAC. The good thing about a Pi is that you can either dedicate it to single use (Streamer , Player ) or if you have to use it as both streamer and player. This means all of its functions are aimed at this and nothing else . It will sound excellent straight out of the box and using a standard Raspberry Pi wallwart power supply . I have found though that the addition of a Linear Power Supply does improve the SQ quite a bit and if you are using a Pi as your stand alone server then an upgrade to the latest model Pi 4 offers a very noticable improvement in sound quality . Adding an LPSU to this gives additional improvement.

With regard to the addition of an LPSU there are some really expensive units which will work but I would suggest that looking for a decent used one on e-bay or in the classifieds on the various forums is a better use of money . Yes you can pay lots and i am sure it will sound very good but you will get probably 80% of the improvement with a much cheaper but decent unit. I recently picked up an SMCL P-2 for around £45 and provided you use it on players only (it does not have enough power for a Server plus USB HD which is power hungry you do need a full 3 amp pSU for this) it sounds very good indeed and is beautifully made for the price .

I'm Hermano.

Just to add my tuppence worth. Have used Hifiberry Digi hats with Pi2, 3, 3B over the years. All been excellent, fed coax into into Beresford or Marantz Dac's.
    Now using Pi4 without hat. Usb direct to dac, and to my ears fairly significant improvement. No idea how, why what...just sounds better to me.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hermano View Post
    Just to add my tuppence worth. Have used Hifiberry Digi hats with Pi2, 3, 3B over the years. All been excellent, fed coax into into Beresford or Marantz Dac's.
    Now using Pi4 without hat. Usb direct to dac, and to my ears fairly significant improvement. No idea how, why what...just sounds better to me.
    On the Pi4 they cleaned up the usb connection

I'm Hermano.

I would suggest this has made a huge difference. If using Pi 4 and usb no need for hat.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hermano View Post
    I would suggest this has made a huge difference. If using Pi 4 and usb no need for hat.
    Yes, the Rpi 4 has addressed earlier design errors with the USB bus and I am sure that audio now sounds better through that port on the new model. However, I seriously doubt that a raw RPi4 usb device could compete with with a well engineered Pi Hat combo for SQ. I would suggest you try and hear an RPi with an Allo Digone board or something of similar quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast