+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi Digi Hats

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
    I had planned on running something like Volumio on the Pi and assumed this would collate everything on my NAS and have a Spotify plugin.

I apologise for the noob question but does this setup require a separate server?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    You run Volumio straight from the SD card on the Pi and you get Spotify Connect as a plugin.
    This is what I use and it works perfectly.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    You run Volumio straight from the SD card on the Pi and you get Spotify Connect as a plugin.
    This is what I use and it works perfectly.
    So Volumio (or similar) on my Pi links to my NAS through ethernet or wifi, collates all the files, album artwork etc?

It was the mention of separate servers that threw me. I have run Logitech Media Server previously on my Synology NAS so I can do that if there's an advantage?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Current headphone system: Synology DS212j NAS -> 3rd Gen i5 PC -> Coax out -> Bushmaster mk1 -> AKG 701

Currently in storage speaker system: Need a digital source -> Cyrus 8vs2 -> DIY built IPL acoustics M1TLm with custom speaker cables.

I'm Bill.

Just getting back to my original post .

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the NJC DAC and now really quite keen to use a Chromecast Audio rather than a R-Pi. The main reason being that the CCA will give me access to anything I'd like to listen to.

Let's assume the NJC DAC is well designed, how much difference does the streaming part actually make?

I like the idea of CCA via optical to the DAC and powered by an iFi ipower PSU.
    How will this compare to a R-Pi with a Digi hat via optical?

Cheers for any further guidance chaps

I'm Andrew.

I use the Max2play Distro because I find it simple and easy to use and add the settings and set ups I need . I am not that bothered about the cost but fully realise that others are not happy paying for this type of software. I list Max2play as I use it and so it can change the way I load and set up things like LMS and the HAts . I find it a very useful and helpful piece of software but it does not need to be there and if anyone else prefers picore player and other distros then fine they should use what they are happy with . For me at least Max2play is very simple to install Hat and DAC types , attach a USB HD , install and upgrade LMS other find this easy to do with other distros I have often tried them but find certain parts difficult (like adding a USB HD to picore player , I find this impossible to do but would probably find it much easier if I had someone to walk me through it) . So please do not take it that I am saying you need to use Max2play with LMS you most certainly do not , I do and it is my preference because i find it easy to do and I am comfortable with the costs which i think are not that much anyway .

I'm Andrew.

I am puzzled by what service a Chromecast can offer that a Pi with LMS is not able to ? LMS even has a plug for Chromecast . As far as I am aware LMS offers all of the options that you need , Wireless , Bluetooth , Quboz , Deezer , Tidal , Spotify , BBC radio , Radio Paradise , Digital Radio , USB Attached Hard Drive , Digital Out either Coaxial or Optical with the addition of a hat ,DSD, most Codecs including FLAC , WAV , MP3, ALAC connection to any UpNP Database , connection to any network storage . I have no doubt that I have missed some thing off this list but would be interested to see what option Chromecast has that a Pi with LMS does not . If you feel that a Chromecast is a better otption then great that works for you but if there is somehting I am missing i want to know what it is as I might well think about switching to a Chromecast myself .

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    I am puzzled by what service a Chromecast can offer that a Pi with LMS is not able to ? LMS even has a plug for Chromecast . As far as I am aware LMS offers all of the options that you need , Wireless , Bluetooth , Quboz , Deezer , Tidal , Spotify , BBC radio , Radio Paradise , Digital Radio , USB Attached Hard Drive , Digital Out either Coaxial or Optical with the addition of a hat ,DSD, most Codecs including FLAC , WAV , MP3, ALAC connection to any UpNP Database , connection to any network storage . I have no doubt that I have missed some thing off this list but would be interested to see what option Chromecast has that a Pi with LMS does not . If you feel that a Chromecast is a better otption then great that works for you but if there is somehting I am missing i want to know what it is as I might well think about switching to a Chromecast myself .
    Thanks for your informative message.

I'm not familiar with LMS, I'll have a look into it.
    Can I use it with just the Pi or do I need it on a PC?

I'm Mike.

I run my LMS install on an Intel NUC that runs 24/7 and then Pi/Allo Boss DAC to amp. LMS can be run alongside Picoreplayer on the same Pi but I prefer it to be separate, it can also run on a separate Pi or desktop but of course it needs to be running for the output Pi/DAC to be able to work.

I access Qobuz, Spotify, Bandcamp, TuneinRadio, Radio Paradise add my NAS drive.

Here's a few screenshots of what it looks like on my phone with the Material Skin running on LMS. I use the iPad most times but that has been purloined for a zoom session this morning

I have control of the main system in the living room that's using MoOde Audio in the Pi and upstairs in my computer room I have another Pi running Picoreplayer, I wanted to try Picoreplayer hence the two different systems.

I'm Mike.

Default Raspberry Pi Digi Hats

Today I changed my Pi DAC Hat from an Allo Boss to the Orchard Audio PecanPi DAC Hat.

Big difference in sound quality, mind you big difference in price too, but I have to say I’m very impressed with it.

Everything sound wise has taken a big step up, bass is deeper, better defined, soundstage is wider and deeper, crystal clear highs without being edgy. Every instrument just seems to have filled out a lot more, I heard things on tracks I’m very familiar with that I’ve not heard before.

Still using MoOde Audio with Logitech Media Server and the Material Skin as that’s the setup I prefer.

PecanPi - Highly recommended

https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Today I changed my Pi DAC Hat from an Allo Boss to the Orchard Audio PecanPi DAC Hat.

Big difference in sound quality, mind you big difference in price too, but I have to say I’m very impressed with it.

Everything sound wise has taken a big step up, bass is deeper, better defined, soundstage is wider and deeper, crystal clear highs without being edgy. Every instrument just seems to have filled out a lot more, I heard things on tracks I’m very familiar with that I’ve not heard before.

Still using MoOde Audio with Logitech Media Server and the Material Skin as that’s the setup I prefer.

PecanPi - Highly recommended

https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi
    That's good to hear! Do you have a case for it?

I'm Mike.

Default Raspberry Pi Digi Hats

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    That's good to hear! Do you have a case for it?
    No I just bought the bare DAC and it’s plugged into the Pi gpio socket then they’re fixed to a plate of aluminium, it’s never on view anyway as it’s down behind the HiFi unit and is never seen.

I don’t need a case so didn’t bother with one and saved some cash.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast