+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi Digi Hats

I'm Bill.

Default Raspberry Pi Digi Hats

I'm currently using an Allo Boss V1.2 with a Raspberry Pi but am considering an NJC Audio DAC to compliment my NJC headphone amp.

I'm considering using an optical connection and wonder which is currently the best Digi hat to use, can anyone advise please.

Also, is there likely to be any SQ difference between a Pi with a Digi hat and a Chromecast Audio?

Cheers,

Bill
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I'm currently using an Allo Boss V1.2 with a Raspberry Pi but am considering an NJC Audio DAC to compliment my NJC headphone amp.

I'm considering using an optical connection and wonder which is currently the best Digi hat to use, can anyone advise please.

Also, is there likely to be any SQ difference between a Pi with a Digi hat and a Chromecast Audio?

Cheers,

Bill
    I run a pi/boss system and it beats a Chromecast setup hands down, even with a linear PSU on both the pi/boss was easily better.

Awaiting arrival of a Pecan Pi DAC that is reported to be better than the Boss DAC. Don't know anything about the NJC.

I should also say that I tried the CCA into a Caiman SEG and using the CCA own built in DAC and I still preferred the Pi/Boss

I'm Bill.

I don't know why I'm faffing over this, the Boss sounds so good!

I've got to move on and stop thinking about changing things for no reason other than this ridiculous obsession

I'm Mike.

I've got to move on and stop thinking about changing things for no reason other than this ridiculous obsession
    Jeez you sound like me

I dithered for months about buying the Pecan DAC, it'll be with me next couple of days so we'll see if I bought right.

I'm Bill.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it

The problem with NJC is that you can't try before you buy or return if not suitable. I know there is the distance selling regulation, but I don't want to have to make use of that with such a small company.
    This makes it a leap of faith and at £450 it makes it very difficult.

I'm Mike.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it

The problem with NJC is that you can't try before you buy or return if not suitable. I know there is the distance selling regulation, but I don't want to have to make use of that with such a small company.
    This makes it a leap of faith and at £450 it makes it very difficult.
    Yeah not easy on the return to a small company, however I suppose if you're paying postage both ways then they've lost nothing except a sale, have you asked if they have a demo unit?

I'm Bill.

Yes, no demo unit unfortunately.

I really don't know why they wouldn't have one of each of their items for a home loan, I'm sure it would help them sell more.

I'm Andrew.

Not wanting to add to your dilemma I will only add that I have used HiFi Berry Digi , Digi + and Digi Pro hats along with a JustBoom Digi and found no real differences in sound quality with any of them .

I'm Steve.

I know that feeling!
    I improved my vinyl system so much that I stopped enjoying my pi based digital.
    However, I’ve ended up with the Allo USBRIDGE (pi on steroids) feeding an Orchard Pecan pi.
    It’s a massive step up from the pi /boss (mine now relegated to the 2nd system).

Still doesn’t compete with my vinyl system though.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Not wanting to add to your dilemma I will only add that I have used HiFi Berry Digi , Digi + and Digi Pro hats along with a JustBoom Digi and found no real differences in sound quality with any of them .
    I use RPI2 with HiFiBerry Digi which I purchased from a fellow AoSer over a year ago and plug it into a Caimen SEG DAC and to be honest I have not looked back. Several times I have considered upgrading either the HAT or selling the lot and going to a single box, each time I have backed out because I am not sure I would get or hear much difference. Plus with the single box I would be likely to loose flexibility unless I spent quite a lot.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast