+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rega Mira Amplifier

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    Thanks, seems to be the case.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Vince.

Bloody good buy.........Bargain😋

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Bloody good buy.........Bargain��
    I agree but its gone to someone who'll use it and appreciate it so we all win a little.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Mike.

Got it today Speedy! Lovely condition, thank you.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Got it today Speedy! Lovely condition, thank you.
    Glad it arrived OK. Let me know your listening impressions as I rated it quite highly compared to the Brio it replaced and that surprised a few people i think.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Mike.

Just got a Brio off ebay of the same vintage! Only £150 delivered. The budget amp of any brand seems to be the one with punch and verve! It was the same when I went from Naim 180 to 250, same with Quad 306 - 509, quite simply I think budget amps are best for rock'n'roll. Its about half as light as the Mira, which is nice enough, but not what I wanted to rock out to. I'll give it a while of course to see which I prefer.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm coming to a similar conclusion not about particular makes but amps in general. I think they all have a sweet spot in terms of volume level and I have to listen relatively quietly being in a semi and doing most of my listening after the kids have gone to bed. The more powerful/expensive amps tend to (very much on average, of course there are exceptions, but I can say Arcam, any Ice power based amps, Plinius to name a few I've heard) sound boring at my volume levels but come into their own if a mate comes round in the day and I push them a bit.

I also think that many of the differences between people's opinions of amps varies according to what volume they listen at, but this is rarely mentioned in discussions, a fundamental point when making comparisons. I'm also sure room size and effect is very important too.

I like an amp with plenty of headroom but also plenty of verve at low volumes. It's quite a struggle to find one that does both as manufacturers probably voice them when they are being given a bit of welly relative to their output power spec

I'm Jules.

One man's "punchy" is another's "uncouth". Using the Brio/Mira 2000 as examples the Brio is very forward & brash, but certainly involving. The Mira is much, smoother, more detailed & less fatiguing in my experience. This is obviously exacerbated/assuaged by speakers & cabling.

I find this is the trend as you move up the range, you trade immediacy for subtlety. I'm not saying which is definitive, but I generally favour the latter as I found anything that stood out initially tends to irritate over time.

In regard of volume the majority of amps seem to "open up" at a certain level, which is generally too loud for late night listening. Sensitive speakers help along with low output amps (SET especially). I find Naim have all the action before 12 O'clock, where as others come to life after that point. I can't think of anything that sounds decent below 9 O'clock. It tend to run the amp @ optimal volume where possible & adjust the volume on the source where possible, which isn't ideal, but is the lesser evil.

I'm Jason.

i have had the mira clamshell and the model being sold here and the, brio clampshell and brio 2 and brio 3
    this mira was the best, more smoother and for me a nicer sound.
    do not get me wrong ,the clamshell sounded good but to my ears it was brighter then this mira version.
    maybe though my qed silver speaker cable never helped matters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12