+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for August

I'm Martin.

Sometimes I have cereal. Either Frosties ( aka 'frosted flakes' for the yanks) or Crunchy Nut cornflakes. But that's because it's quick and easy. Nutritionally it's a crap breakfast though.

I always drink a pint of full-fat milk every day though. I swear by it. From a nutritional pov a glass of milk is a pretty good thing to have with breakfast.

Don't mind a croissant but it's hard to get decent ones, round here anyway. Croissant with a little bit of jam and lashings of butter (not some godawful 'spread'), small glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice and a cup of decent black coffee; now that's a quality breakfast. I just very rarely have all the ingredients for it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I often have Weetabix with granola added and a sprinkle of sultanas, served with hot milk. I always enjoy it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sometimes I have cereal. Either Frosties ( aka 'frosted flakes' for the yanks) or Crunchy Nut cornflakes. But that's because it's quick and easy. Nutritionally it's a crap breakfast though.

I always drink a pint of full-fat milk every day though. I swear by it. From a nutritional pov a glass of milk is a pretty good thing to have with breakfast.

Don't mind a croissant but it's hard to get decent ones, round here anyway. Croissant with a little bit of jam and lashings of butter (not some godawful 'spread'), small glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice and a cup of decent black coffee; now that's a quality breakfast. I just very rarely have all the ingredients for it.
    Lol - you've near enough just described my daily brekkie!

Although, I often replace the croissant with toast (as it's too fattening to have daily), using proper bread with a nice thick crust, which I get from the Polish shop, along with their really creamy butter (don't do spread). I also like nice jam or proper old-fashioned orange marmalade, from either Bonne Maman or Tiptree, which I have with a croissant or some toast.

We get our milk (full-fat type) delivered fresh from the dairy in old-fashioned bottles, every second morning, and it takes 3/4 of a pint to make the (very large) cappuccino I have, so I'm inadvertently getting the nutrients from it that way. Plus, I have a glass of fresh orange, pear or peach juice, lovely stuff from the Portuguese deli. I also often have some fresh fruit, maybe a peach or pear, or grapefruit.

And whaddya mean you can't get the ingredients, daftee? You live near a Sainsbury's, which sells everything you need, including the croissants - just go for the 'Taste the Difference' range in the bakery section (the big buttery bastards), which are the real deal!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Weetabix is hard core, like eating a bird's nest for breakfast.

Porridge is hard core too. I tried to get into porridge as it is a good breakfast but I just couldn't manage it. Just too disgusting to me in taste and texture. I envy people that can eat it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

And whaddya mean you can't get the ingredients, daftee? You live near a Sainsbury's, which sell everything you need, including the croissants - just go for the 'Taste the Difference' range, which are the real deal!

Marco.
    Tried them, they're okay don't get me wrong but compared to the ones you get from a little bakery in rural France at 6.30 in the morning? They're not even in the same ballpark. You must know where I'm coming from on that.

You have three quarters of a pint of milk in a coffee? How big is your coffee mug?
    Current Lash Up:

Tried them, they're okay don't get me wrong but compared to the ones you get from a little bakery in rural France at 6.30 in the morning? They're not even in the same ballpark. You must know where I'm coming from on that.
    Yeah, totally, but the Taste the Difference ones (*must* be those) I find more than acceptable. These chaps: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...-difference-x4

Ignore some of the reviews from idiots who don't know what they're talking about!

One guy, who's continental though, does.... Also, if you've got a Lidl near you, their fresh bread section is full of croissants, pain au chocolat, and remarkably good, all made fresh daily with no packaging!

You have three quarters of a pint of milk in a coffee? How big is your coffee mug?
    Observe:

Mon petit déjeuner!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Weetabix is hard core, like eating a bird's nest for breakfast.

Porridge is hard core too. I tried to get into porridge as it is a good breakfast but I just couldn't manage it. Just too disgusting to me in taste and texture. I envy people that can eat it.
    I've been having Scotts Porage for breakfast for many years. With a banana, honey, dried fruit such as prunes and figs. Keeps you going all day (sometimes in more ways than one)

Not the past couple of days though as it's a tad ''over the top'' even for me.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Martin.

Yeah, totally, but the Taste the Difference ones (*must* be those) I find more than acceptable. These chaps: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...-difference-x4

Ignore some of the reviews from idiots who don't know what they're talking about!

One guy, who's continental though, does.... Also, if you've got a Lidl near you, their fresh bread section is full of croissants, pain au chocolat, and remarkably good, all made fresh daily with no packaging!

Observe:

Mon petit déjeuner!

Marco.
    Yeah, that's a big mug.

I don't go with the grapefruit though. Never been a fan of grapefruit. Far too tart for first thing in the morning.

Not been in Sainsbury's since stupid covid thing started. I mean I hated the experience of shopping there before they added all the extra grief too it so I'm not likely to go there now. There is a stall in the market that sells croissants though now I think about it, I might give them a go.

Got a Lidl just round the corner but I only ever been in there one time. Bought a 6 way mains block and some Ritter chocolate. Didn't see owt else worthwhlle. There was lots of tinned fish, some in every aisle. Not sure what that's all about.
    Current Lash Up:

Yeah, that's a big mug.

I don't go with the grapefruit though. Never been a fan of grapefruit. Far too tart for first thing in the morning.
    Yeah, if I fill it right to the rim, it takes virtually a whole pint! But, I've got to leave some room for the froth

Fruit, like any other food is down to personal taste. Pink grapefruit though, good ones, aren't are tart as the yellow variety. I've always been used to having some fruit in the morning (and throughout the day, all sorts), and love it, and of course it's very good for you. One of the reasons I'm such a healthy big bastard!

Not been in Sainsbury's since stupid covid thing started. I mean I hated the experience of shopping there before they added all the extra grief too it so I'm not likely to go there now.
    Well, let me reassure you that, aside from a small box at the door with some hand cleanser on it, the use of which is completely optional, and plastic shields around the checkouts, isolating the staff from you, it's the way it was, *but* MUCH quieter!!

At least round here it is... No queues to get in and hardly any bugger inside, probably 'cos lots of the oldies are too scared to go out and/or many customers have now switched to online. Honestly, it's great - isles virtually to yourself, no queues at MANNED checkouts (the only ones I'd use, for reasons we've discussed before), and just overall much more calm and relaxing - honestly!

Pop in for a nosey yourself and see... As for Lidl. trust me, you've got it all wrong. Either that, or the one near you is crap. Knowing me, do you honestly think I'd do 80% of my shopping in Lidl if there wasn't anything worth buying or the stuff was crap?

Their fresh bread and pastries section, at least in the Wrexham branches, is first class and cheap as chips, trust me... And yes, they do those apple thingies you like! No idea what you mean about the tinned fish - haven't seen that, but the quality of their 'Specially Selected' range of fresh meat is excellent, often Aberdeen Angus, rump, sirloin or fillet, and make great steaks.

And all sorts o other stuff.... You really should revisit it with a fresh mind, and if you do have a PROPER look round, up and down the aisles, not just a quick glance.

Yeah defo give the stall in the market a go - if they make the croissants themselves, to a classic French recipe, I can't see them being too shabby!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Yeah, sorry, what I meant was raw milk. I don't drink milk on its own or have it 'raw', other than a spot in 'builders tea'

So cereals are out. Plus, I'm not into the texture of 'rusk-type' things, or 'dry crisps' that don't taste of much, like cornflakes, rice crispies, etc... I find it rather unpalatable. Remember I'm continental, so more used to croissants than cereals!

Marco.
    But not very continental when it comes to tolerating hot weather Even I cope better, and I'm of Irish descent
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast