+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Voltage drop over 50 metres

I'm Chris.

Default Voltage drop over 50 metres

I would like to run a 12volt supply to LED lights in my drive. The run is 50 metres, the current will be say 10 amps and the wire is standard 1.5mm mains cable. Can anyone tell me what the voltage drop will be?

Have used Google, but calculators give results that are all over the place
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm John.

29mV/A/m for 2-core 1.5mm2 70C pvc insulated cable carrying DC.

= 0.029x10x50

=14.5 volts

You’ll have -2.5 volts at the end, simples

120 watt is quite a bit of light using LEDs.

You’ll need to stick to mains voltage I think.

I'm Chris.

Thanks
    Point taken about the watts required for LED. It was just a guess

So assume 2 lamps at 10 watts each (12v) = 20 watts

I make the calculation 0.029x1.7x50
    = 2.5volts??
    What does this mean?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm John.

It means you’ll have reduced voltage in the circuit due to the resistance of the cable creating waste heat. If the lights have a wide operating voltage range, say 6 -13V you’ll be fine. If they need 12V exactly (unlikely) and you are only supplying 10V the lights won’t work.
    Using 12V on an outdoor installation with a number of cable breaks/connection points may be troublesome. Get some corrosion and it’s lights out.
    Why not use mains voltage with a 30mA RCD for shock protection?

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the explanation. Look like mains voltage is the way to go
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread