+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Got the mayware set up yet ?
    Not yet!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

And that Shure cartridge!

Stop frettin' over speakers and get yer arse in gear, boyo....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

I'm considering getting a psychic in, bad spirits might be interfering in my enjoyment of music, I've tried almost everything else. Apart from that, when my fridge goes off, you know when it hums and then stops, I guess cos its reached the right temperature, then a click is heard through my speakers, does that mean anything? I've taken the mains conditioner out, as it was just a big box having little effect, is there anything else I should try power wise?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Get an electrician to run a cable to a dedicated socket for the HiFi that is on its own circuit from the consumer unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Get an electrician to run a cable to a dedicated socket for the HiFi that is on its own circuit from the consumer unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No way man, I just rent the flat!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Mains conditioner? Mine works perfectly; never a click or hum whatsoever. Inky black background, even with the valve buffer.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Mains conditioner? Mine works perfectly; never a click or hum whatsoever. Inky black background, even with the valve buffer.
    I've taken the mains conditioner out now, can't remember whether the clicks were there when it was in, but the general sound is no different.

I'm Dennis.

My last fridge did the same, and it was even worse with my Midi Time Piece MIDI interface because it set up a permanent sound from the MIDI instruments. So I would go out and return home to find 70dB of synthesiser had been playing for a long time.

RS did a suppression potted block in packs containing a cap and resistor, packs of three or five I believe, and I fitted one in the mains connection box on the fridge with some improvement.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Contact switch suppressors are readily obtained from Maplin or RS. They are usually a series combination of a 0.1uF 500V capacitor with a 100R resistor encapsulated in a single package. You can fit them across the thermostat contacts of your fridge, but only do so if you know what you are doing.

Otherwise you could try plugging your audio system into another socket further away from the socket into which your fridge is plugged.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Default PS Audio P5

I have the P5 which is brillant, it supplies all my devices with power and even powers up each item slightly after the other to avoid max current demand, but it still does not stop interference from my BT internal phones. My TE Groove picks up a mains like buzz and I get scan noise in the speakers from the handset. The only way around this is to switch off the power to the base station and move the handsets behind a metre thich wall.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

+ Reply to Thread