+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Have a read here, particularly under the section entitled "Positioning": https://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-js...peaker-review/

I'm presuming that the above applies to all AN stand-mount designs. As I said, it's certainly always how I've seen the company themselves demonstrating them, usually in a smallish room, and they've always sounded pretty good to my ears.

The rule seems to be corner loading, and very wide-apart placement (using the full width of the room), with sharp toeing in towards the listening position - all of which, from the pics he's shown, Mike hasn't got going on now.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

The first pic looked about right to me. At the demos they have them right into the corner as far as possible and toed right in as far as they will go. It doesn't work, you get bass like a 1950s radiogram. Unless that is what you want I suppose.

Anyway first thing I would try is put the speakers back a bit and get rid of the toe in. Have them aiming straight ahead. That'll reduce the amount of high frequency you are getting directly. Should help, possibly quite a bit.

Rug/ tapestry thing on the wall behind you and the one behind the speaker is a good idea too, Then look at a bit of damping on the first reflection points on the walls either side of the speakers. That one is a bit more difficult to disguise as 'decor' though.

Cool room. Looks like it is California or somewhere like that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The first pic looked about right to me. At the demos they have them right into the corner as far as possible and toed right in as far as they will go. It doesn't work, you get bass like a 1950s radiogram.
    That's not what I've heard whenever I've listened to their demos - quite the opposite! For me, Mike should try positioning his speakers as the manufacturer recommends (as outlined above) and see how it goes, then take it from there.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

From the article concerned (noting highlighted sections):

“Move the speaker to be as close to the side wall as possible, to the point of almost touching the wall, with the speaker 5 – 10 centimeter (2-4 inches) from the rear wall, toe the speakers in to aim 1-2 meters (3-6 feet) in front of the listener, now play a record or CD with some bass content to see how the low frequencies come across, then adjust the speaker angle to get a good and even energy spread between the speakers.”

In fact, this toe-in can be disconcerting for many audiophiles who are used to the more usual free standing face forward designs. Nevertheless, the speakers can have an almost 90 degree toe-in and still create a very strong stereo image. I found getting excellent results very easy to do in my listening space. The Audio Note J’s are one of the easiest speakers I have dealt with for positioning because tonally they sound so right. Nevertheless, to get the speakers bang on for both best imaging and deep powerful bass without bass boom then some time will be needed experimenting with toe-in and distance from corners and the back wall.

In my room, I get the best results with the speakers very hard in corners with a strong toe-in such that I can see the outside of the speaker boxes. This kind of positioning is quite different than what most people are used to but this works to allow the boxes to disappear and allow the musicians to be placed front and center. Lastly, it is advisable for ideal results to be in a listening chair where your ears are below the tweeters."

Marco.
    Main System

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ha - and is your botty still smarting from its spanking, shweety?
    Ooh, you are awful, but I like you (Said in my best Dick Emery voice).

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mike.

|I've ad em in the corners, they're better now, out into the room a bit. Although tomorrow or the next day I may say different.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The first pic looked about right to me. At the demos they have them right into the corner as far as possible and toed right in as far as they will go. It doesn't work, you get bass like a 1950s radiogram. Unless that is what you want I suppose.

Anyway first thing I would try is put the speakers back a bit and get rid of the toe in. Have them aiming straight ahead. That'll reduce the amount of high frequency you are getting directly. Should help, possibly quite a bit.

Rug/ tapestry thing on the wall behind you and the one behind the speaker is a good idea too, Then look at a bit of damping on the first reflection points on the walls either side of the speakers. That one is a bit more difficult to disguise as 'decor' though.

Cool room. Looks like it is California or somewhere like that.
    There are people in California right now, wishing they lived in South east england, probably lesbians.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    |I've ad em in the corners, they're better now, out into the room a bit. Although tomorrow or the next day I may say different.
    Ok, but have you had them in the corners whilst also sharply toed into the listening position?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adrian.

Yes, I remember when I purchased my Snell Js in 1989 that the dealer recommended quite an extreme toe in with the focal point where their axis crossed about 1 foot in front of the listener. It did seem odd at the time but worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast