+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I'm tempted by these Tannoys now, but I don't want to buy them and then come back on here moanin'.........
    The Tannoys you refer to may be the answer. Have you tried the sale or return option with the dealer, most reputable dealers will do this, especially if they believe in the equipment and consider it likely they will get a sale anyway. I know that distance in this case is restrictive, apart from covid issues, but it may be that accepting the possible cost of return shipping may be worth it if the dealer is in agreement.

Just a though.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Martin, have you owned an S500 or listened to one for any period of time? If you have then maybe your view is a bit more than purely subjective.
    I had a fairly extended listen to a system using one, speakers IIRC were modified Snells. Not by any means the worst system I have heard but when it was bad it was bad. Not something I could live with as it would dictate what recordings I could listen to. So I can't agree that it is a 'neutral' sounding amplifier.

It is just my subjective opinion though, I respect that others will have a different one. Ultimately It's up to Mike what he wants to take from the various opinions offered - if anything!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I believe acoustics are better in Stoke. Something to do with atmospheric density and the all year round dampness.
    I used to have a girlfriend like that. But she didn't sound so good at high volumes.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

And don't forget Aled Jones, who I gather is teaming up with Brian Blessed for a Xmas Special. (Scary thought! )
    With his huge collection of XXXXL festive pullovers Brian is an obvious choice. Whenever Brian was travelling, he used to take a load of dumb bells and free weights in his holdall. He liked to watch the bell boy's face when helping him with his luggage. Brian's just the right side of mental, God bless him

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you like You can do all the loading and unloading
    Bloody hell, do I have to do everything?

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

He may have a scheme organised with Audio Al.

(Where is Al? Not seen him for a while, hope he's OK)
    Apparently he's having a bit of a break. I suspect he put his back out hoovering behind his new turntable.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I've been told off more than once by Marco for my blunt rudeness (objectivist views with no compassion for the subjectivist opinion), and being perfectly honest, he may have had a point (I say "may" because there's no way I'm fully admiting I'm wrong ). Who want's to admit they're wrong?.
    Ha - and is your botty still smarting from its spanking, shweety?

In all seriousness, the key thing is you've obviously found enough here that you like, to both curb your 'objectivist excesses' (lol), stick around and essentially FIT IN, which is what I was saying to Stephen. However, there's certainly nothing wrong with being wrong, as being wrong, or making mistakes, is the only way you learn and improve as a person.

I admire polite forum users and wish I could be a bit more like that. I guess we we should all make a little more effort to be nice... I wise man once said, if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Absolutely, however I've never found your input here particularly rude. We may not have agreed in the past on certain matters, but clearly you understand that 'words on a screen' are in reality rather more than that, as those words will undoubtedly have an impact, adversely or otherwise, on the human being at the other end, so when posting on forums, one should always bear that in mind.

Unfortunately, in our increasingly soulless and virtual world, where face to face contact and interaction with other people is evermore on the decline, basic human qualities, such as good manners, which at one time any well-brought up person would've practiced without question, are now fatally being eroded, as we spend increasing amounts of time behind computer screens, thus lose the very traits that make us human.

Well, AoS and I are *vehemently* against that and will fight to protect the very things that make living on this earth a pleasure. In that respect, this forum and its community will always reflect what I'm used to in the world that *I* inhabit, not the one modern society seems intent on destroying - and in 'my world' people are nice to each other and automatically treat each other with courtesy and respect, and therefore that is subsequently how things will always be on AoS

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Snowflakes are out early this year I see, world is turning to shit cos society is too worried about someone’s feelings. I saw nothing wrong in KDs posts
    Broadly I agree, but I trust I've explained now in recent posts exactly where I stand on the matter. The problem with 'KD' was that he simply wasn't interested in fitting in, and probably should've read what AoS was about before he joined.

I was also receiving numerous complaints about him from regular, long-established members who were unhappy with his input, so something had to be done. And now it has, I wish him well elsewhere.

That said, best we all move on now and return to the thread topic, and of course the banter we all enjoy, which is also at the core of what makes AoS, AoS!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Then be very selective, should you want some. They don't all get it right, in fact most don't.
    What do you mean? That most Tannoys are no good?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Mike,

Broadly I agree, but I trust I've explained now in recent posts exactly where I stand on the matter. The problem with 'KD' was that he simply wasn't interested in fitting in, and probably should've read what AoS was about before he joined.

I was also receiving numerous complaints about him from regular, long-established members who were unhappy with his input, so something had to be done. And now it has, I wish him well elsewhere.

That said, best we all move on now and return to the thread topic, and of course the banter we all enjoy, which is also at the core of what makes AoS, AoS!

Marco.
    Didn't realise that, all cool here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast