+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Agreed, I'd have thought them more than adequate for this purpose.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Steve.

Certainly in the context of Mike's system/room, Adrian's suggestions are a cost effective approach, and worth trying out I would have thought.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

I'm now thinking the Audio Note Js tend towards a boxy and constrained sound, somehow something is missing, not a fully fleshed out sound. The treble is also killing my ears, time to try something else me thinks.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Tried putting El34s in the AN Soro but they didnae fit! Wot is happening?? They are taller than the 6551s in there already. They touch the screw on case of the amp.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Tried putting El34s in the AN Soro but they didnae fit! Wot is happening?? They are taller than the 6551s in there already. They touch the screw on case of the amp.
    Are you sure 6551’s can be changed for EL34’s? I am not familiar with them and cannot find anything about then on the net!

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Are you sure 6551’s can be changed for EL34’s? I am not familiar with them and cannot find anything about then on the net!

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope! In fact after reading a bit on teh internet I think it needs only 6551s! I'll just leave alone..........

I'm Steve.

Mike, that is not my experience with Js, you're so close to AN, I think I'd ask them to give them a check over and I think they calibrate the crossover if there is some drift. Gotta be worth the cost of an hours labour.

I'm mick.

Are you confusing 6551 with 6550 and 5881.You can sub an EL34 with a 6p3S-E.Sound very good and can take lot of stick.I've used them in my Radford for a good few years without any problems and a lot of guitarists use and recommend them.
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    Mike, that is not my experience with Js, you're so close to AN, I think I'd ask them to give them a check over and I think they calibrate the crossover if there is some drift. Gotta be worth the cost of an hours labour.
    I contacted them, they swear they'll be fine, or may'be they're not interested in small jobs post lockdown? Might be able to take them somewhere else though.

I'm Lawrence.

Mate if they're that out of spec from what you say get someone round to see if they think the same as you. Borrow another valve amp if you can.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast