+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Mike, I get what you are saying re valve amps but I think your issue with them has been compounded by the Audio Note's shortcomings, not the amps.

With the right speakers valve amps can give a powerful, dynamic sound with plenty of bass although admittedly it can be tricky to get right though. The speakers you have are considered superb for acoustic reproduction and indeed Jazz (as you have eluded to). They do place texture and timbre above nearly all else sonic-wise so other important (although less to some people) characteristics of a speakers 'signature' are missing, even compared to a lot of far less expensive examples.

For a lot of people this is okay as they may only listen to the kind of music that the speakers excel with but it does limit your musical genres somewhat.
    !
    They just have a midrange hump, that's all. There's nothing else about them that would mean they are placing 'texture and timbre above all else.' That's just a function of frequency response, you could achieve it with pretty much any speaker just by using EQ. Of course whilst that might sound great with some recordings most stuff will just sound wrong.

AN-E Lexus Signature - https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements - these speakers cost 12000 dollar back in 2008!

Have to say on the several occasions I have heard Audionote speakers I've been astonished at how lo-fi they sound, especially in the bass. Like an old-timey radiogram. Obviously jamming them up into the corners won't help but as pointed out in the link, without that twin boundary reinforcement they have no bass at all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They just have a midrange hump, that's all. There's nothing else about them that would mean they are placing 'texture and timbre above all else.' That's just a function of frequency response, you could achieve it with pretty much any speaker just by using EQ. . Obviously jamming them up into the corners won't help but as pointed out in the link, without that twin boundary reinforcement they have no bass at all.
    To an extent, the cabinet design is such as to 'flatter' those humps. Simply boosting the EQ on 'any speaker' will likely sound pretty naff actually. The AN's do have a charm.

Agreed on the bass though.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Martin.

I get different folk like different things and that's great but what I struggle with is this concept of something is great with this tune but crap with that one. Subtle differences I can handle but such polar opposites and I'm struggling.

Mike, I know you've had room/positioning issues before now and also issues with your deck and the arm being set up correctly so what's the score right now and any updated pictures of the setup?

I'm Geoff.

Being realistic, a well balanced system should present any kind of music adequately.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

AN-E Lexus Signature - https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements - these speakers cost 12000 dollar back in 2008!
    Bejaysus, that's crap.

I'm Steve.

I wouls agree with Adam in that something isn't right. It is a common view that there is a synergy between the AA and AN products. Have you ever had the amp serviced or replaced any of the valves? Have you tried a different source? I suspect a mechanical problem as unlike Macca i have heard the ANJ's working with AA amps and they sounded divine.

I'm steve.

Had a read through all of the replys.. there's nothing wrong with valves.. It just the amplifier the're put in.

A common issue with all amplifiers but more noticable on valves is the ability to muddy up the sound when the music get more complex, it's down to the power supply, a single power supply on amp it not enough. Monoblocks would be better, or seperate supplies for each stage, or regulators for each stage.

I'm afraid cheap or not cheap, but poorly designed valve amps all do this to a point, with complex music the dynamics disappear and the sound collapses, leaving a muddy sound.

I run 2 to 4watt amps through 7ohm 100db+speakers and they play anything and everything well so don't blame the valves please... But do use decent valves.

I'm no fan of an speakers. But from my experience they are not as dynamic as I would expect and the bass coloured ( increases with volume), but if your listening in isolation you would probably need to put a better pair speakers next to them to tell. My advice is sort the amp, which is no simple task now you know whats wrong.. then see how the speakers respond.
    Cheers steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    Had a read through all of the replys.. there's nothing wrong with valves.. It just the amplifier the're put in.

A common issue with all amplifiers but more noticable on valves is the ability to muddy up the sound when the music get more complex, it's down to the power supply, a single power supply on amp it not enough. Monoblocks would be better, or seperate supplies for each stage, or regulators for each stage.

I'm afraid cheap or not cheap, but poorly designed valve amps all do this to a point, with complex music the dynamics disappear and the sound collapses, leaving a muddy sound.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post

I run 2 to 4watt amps through 7ohm 100db+speakers and they play anything and everything well so don't blame the valves please... But do use decent valves.

I'm no fan of an speakers. But from my experience they are not as dynamic as I would expect and the bass coloured ( increases with volume), but if your listening in isolation you would probably need to put a better pair speakers next to them to tell. My advice is sort the amp, which is no simple task now you know whats wrong.. then see how the speakers respond.
    Cheers steve
    Yes, there is no problem at all with quality valve amps although they tend to sound indistinguishable from quality solid state amps IME which isn't what some people are looking for.

But in this case the amplifier is a budget effort, the speakers have an FR that is all over the shop, it's no mystery why the performance is not consistent across all types of music.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm steve.

Yes, there is no problem at all with quality valve amps although they tend to sound indistinguishable from quality solid state amps IME which isn't what some people are looking for.

But in this case the amplifier is a budget effort, the speakers have an FR that is all over the shop, it's no mystery why the performance is not consistent across all types of music.
    Yes I realise that, I was just explaining the reasons..
    To be fair many valve amps are the same.. the fact that the speakers are good with jazz proves to me they are better than most, sort the amp and they will more than lightly be better at more complex music
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast