+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm neil.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I think it's more to do with valve amplifier design, a lot of single ended amps sound good with simple music, anything really dense and complex, not so good.

As for sounding good with jazz? Nice... Really Nice. Great!
    I get what you’re saying

I'm Justin.

Low output is a problem with many valve amps.

I have heard AN/Es with a lot of very high priced Audio Note UK amps.

But when I plugged my 80 Watt 211 monos into a pair they just blew me away. Never heard them sound so good. Those monos can peak at 170 Watts.

The best AN amp I have heard on AN/Es was a 211 design. I documented it on this forum.

In all honesty I really think a lot more power is required than many of the AN amps actually provide for their own loudspeakers. Though the 211 AN amp was very good, even more power brings things even that very high priced item could not manage.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Not sure if I can agree with that?
    With the 211 there is a trade off, you get much more power but the mids are not as good.
    But horses for courses.

Nik nack no! Yes.!
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Adrian.

Just to wade in my 2 penny worth, there is imho a load of Bollox talked about power and valve amps. If the valve amp has good design and good transformers it will give a good result. Most people in normal listening conditions are unlikely to demand more than 1-2watts from their amp, with occasional higher demands. So most good valve amps can meet what is called for, obviously if you pair one up with poorly designed inefficient speakers then it will be an issue.

I am sure a few others can confer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Just seen this thread.

From direct experience,
    Hand on heart, I can’t agree that valve amps are shit for anything except “Jazz...or girl with a Guitar” type music?
    Word to the wise...That’s just something you read on the Internet.

Had a SET 300B poweramp that volume wise I couldn’t get past 10 o’clock on different preamps, any more and the picture frames in the room started rumbling.
    And that put out 8 or 9 watts depending on how you measured it.

All about power supply regulation and the iron used.
    Best power amp I’d ever heard never mind owned, and I’ve been to a few high end shows, only sold because cost of ownership at 1K+ a year for glass over time was above my pay grade.

Another Word to the wise...Like all things in Hifi...”it depends”.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Not sure if I can agree with that?
    With the 211 there is a trade off, you get much more power but the mids are not as good.
    But horses for courses.

Nik nack no! Yes.!
    Hm.

Much depends on which brand of 211s and which brand of 300B or 2A3 or whatever tubes you are using with said amps.

Put it this way, the owner had been through loads of expensive AN amps and stopped on the 211s.

Also uses a Pass solid state class A amp last time I heard, which was a few months ago.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Hm.

Much depends on which brand of 211s and which brand of 300B or 2A3 or whatever tubes you are using with said amps.

Put it this way, the owner had been through loads of expensive AN amps and stopped on the 211s.

Also uses a Pass solid state class A amp last time I heard, which was a few months ago.

Well that's one person's choice and taste! And if I could afford to experiment like that?
    I use a Puresound 2a3 amplifier with a maximum power output of 18w and it's entirely adequate with my Living voice Avatars with plenty of grunt.
    Sounds great with jazz, classical, acoustic music and hard rock, prog rock in fact just about anything sounds good.
    Only amplifier I'd swap it for is one of the the Border Patrol amp's.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Steve.

I get where you're at Mike, ive gone back and forth with typical valve and SS combos. I dont listen very loud and I've found every SS set up (with the exception of sugden a21) sounds more controlled, tidier and able to play louder more comfortably but something is always missing, particularly at the levels i listen at, and I cant even describe what it is! Once I go back to the valve set up, everything feels more right. I have an AN amp and speakers. However I do get why people wouldn't like this sound. All set ups are compromised, its just which set of compromises you can live with I guess.
    I'm due to punish myself trying to convince myself i like a SS set up soon : D

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    I get where you're at Mike, ive gone back and forth with typical valve and SS combos. I dont listen very loud and I've found every SS set up (with the exception of sugden a21) sounds more controlled, tidier and able to play louder more comfortably but something is always missing, particularly at the levels i listen at, and I cant even describe what it is! Once I go back to the valve set up, everything feels more right. I have an AN amp and speakers. However I do get why people wouldn't like this sound. All set ups are compromised, its just which set of compromises you can live with I guess.
    I'm due to punish myself trying to convince myself i like a SS set up soon : D
    Indeed, I'm having to switch between SS and valve at the moment, wish I had two listening rooms!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Been listening to the Audio note Soro for a few weeks now, from memory not much difference between it and the AI S500, though will have to plug that back in to check. Perhaps the Soro is more of an all rounder, but anyway its sounding great, and I definitely love valves/AN J/ Snell type speakers with jazz, depending on the CD or recording it almost sounds as if there is a jazz combo in my living room. Pretty good with some pop stuff as well like Dusty, Scott walker. Not tried it too much with vinyl as I still haven't got around to getting a new cart.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast